Monday, September 4, 2017

Good Reads

I hope you had a chance to read some really good books over the summer.  I did.

Here are two that I really enjoyed.  One I read on a plane between Chicago and Phoenix. The other I read on my back porch before the desert got too desperately hot.

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

First of all, with a title like that, I knew that I had to check it out.  This is the story of a quirky woman and an IT Guy (who also has his quirks) who somehow find common ground and forge a friendship.  Their lives intersect at first when they help an elderly man who has stumbled on the sidewalk.  And the story starts to build from there.

I liked the slow way in which their relationship builds, along with the reveal of their character flaws and quirks. It reminded me a lot of another book that I loved called A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.  It was like peeling away at the layers of an onion.  And there were tears.

My second favorite book of the summer had characters that were neither likeable nor endearing.  In fact, there were moments when I wanted to throw my Kindle across the room because the two main characters were so obnoxious.  But the story was a total page-turner.

We Could Be Beautiful by Swan Huntley

This is the story of two rich gorgeous people, Catherine and William, who are selfish, self-absorbed, and have too much time on their hands. However, they fall in love, get engaged, plan to get married. Blah Blah Blah.  What could be more perfect, right?  Wrong. One of them has an agenda.  And one of them is more diabolical than the other.

Without giving too much away, you've got to read this one if you're in the mood for a bit of a thriller.  I give the author bonus points for the depiction of Catherine's mother who suffers from Alzheimer's.  The mom was by far my favorite character and very authentic.

If you liked Gone Girl, you might like this one too.

What was in your beach-bag this summer?

1 comment:

Jean Davis said...

Sadly I didn't get much reading done this summer, but I did get halfway through a paranormal honeymoon anthology that had some pretty entertaining stories.

Love the title of the first book there. It's even fun to say.