Monday, January 9, 2017

Good Reads

Over the Christmas holidays, I read a ton of books on the gorgeous beaches of Turks & Caicos (shared some pics on my Facebook page!). Two were outstanding and I wanted to share those with you.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman

Loved, loved this story. Ove is a curmudgeon and you're all prepared to hate the guy but as the story progresses and you see how his life intersects with his neighbors, you're pretty much cheering for him at the end.  This story is set in Sweden and it is translated into English and my hats off to the translator.  The translation is excellent as well.  I don't want to give too much away--just read it. You'll love it.



Next is a non-fiction selection called Being Mortal by Atul Gawande.  This was recommended to me by a friend.  I recommend it now to anyone who has
an elderly parent/relative.  It talks candidly about end of life situations and the disconnect between the medical field and the aging patients and their families. It's the kind of book I wished I'd read about five years ago.  A very worthwhile read.  While it did not necessarily teach me anything ground-breakingly new, it reinforced some of what I was thinking before (and after) my own parents passed away and, in a weird way, gave me some comfort. Highly, highly recommend.

What did you read over the holidays?  Hey, by the way, Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've heard good things about the first book. The second one sounds interesting.
Happy 2017!

CA Heaven said...

I've seen good critiques of the first book. Haven't read it myself yet >:)

Cold As Heaven