Monday, May 30, 2016

Beach Bag Worthy

A couple of good reads...

First, I really enjoyed Katherine Wilson's Only in Naples: Lessons in Food and Famiglia From My Italian Mother-in-Law.  I read this memoir in anticipation of an upcoming Rome trip and loved the often hilarious interactions between Katherine and her mother-in-law.  The American author moved to Naples in the mid-1990's after college, found a job and fell in love with the city and an Italian.  I now have a serious craving for more travel and lasagna.  Fun book! Toss this one in your beach bag and enjoy, preferably with a cappuccino at your fingertips.

Next, I devoured Tuesday Nights in 1980 by Molly Prentiss.  This is a
darker, more literary read.  The writing is gorgeous.  If you anticipate spending hours alone on a beach or poolside, consider this one.  Prentiss does a perfect job of capturing the crazy stubborn desperate beautiful mind of an artist.  Set in the 1980's in SoHo in New York City, I was unable to put this novel down and got totally absorbed in the characters and their intersecting, often very dark, lives. 

Happy Reading!

Have an amazing summer.

1 comment:

Crystal Collier said...

I love how there are books out there for every person. What you call a beach read, I'd probably scowl over (not a huge contemporary fan), but what I call a beach read, you'd probably scratch your head at. (I like to take mermaids and vampires to the beach.) *shrugs* I love that there's something out there for any taste.