Monday, February 29, 2016

A Few Good Reads

Haven't done one of these posts in a while.  As usual, I read a ton.  Lately I've been reading loads of nonfiction and poetry, which is a big detour from my usual YA and fiction preferences.  Variety is the spice of life, right?

Anyway, here are some books that I'd like to recommend:

Tops on my list definitely goes to Boys in the Boat.  And, I mean, wowza. Big wow.  What an incredible story.  This is the kind of book that I will buy and then lend it to everyone in my circle of bookworm friends. 

It's the true story about a group of guys from the University of Washington who, against all odds, won the Olympic gold during the 1936 Olympics.  Loved, loved, loved it.  Their personal stories were compelling. Couldn't put it down.

Side note: I volunteer at a local assisted living facility. One of the residents that I sit with often is a lovely Swiss woman who lived in Germany during the 1936 Berlin Olympics as a young teen.  She remembered attending these Olympics, even remembered these "boys in the boat."  It was fascinating to talk about this book with her.  She told me about the time that she (had to) shake Hitler's hand.  She remembered that with a shudder.  Shortly after that point, she and her family emigrated to the US.  Anyway, how timely. I am so privileged that I got the chance to talk about this story with her.

Next on my list:  Practically anything written by Charles Bukowski, but mostly his poetry.  I've been reading through all of Bukowski's books at my local library and only recently discovered him.  Bukowski died in the mid 1990's during his 70's.  But he left behind a long list of literary works.  Most of his writing is gritty, dark, and oftentimes funny, but dark-funny, if that makes any sense.  His poems are not full of light and joy and unicorns, so reader-beware.  I haven't read one yet that I didn't like.  I've also enjoyed reading about his perseverance at becoming and being a writer.  He doesn't mince words about publishing, writing, editors, and the publishing world and just about any writer/author can relate to his candid perspectives.  Although he'd been writing his whole life, he hadn't had much success until his 40's.  Anyway, I appreciate his poetry. Maybe you will too.

Love is a Dog from Hell is the last one I finished. But I've also read Open All Night, and The Last Night of the Earth Poems.

As usual, I keep track of everything that I read over at Goodreads.  I generally only rate and review those books that make an impact on me in some way.

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's amazing you got to talk with someone who was present at those Olympics.