Monday, June 1, 2015

Boy Books

While I was on vacation, a friend of mine asked for some young adult recommendations for her teen son.  Her son and my nephew had a few of the same likes and dislikes (e.g. more adventure; "no kissing books," as my nephew often tells me.) I rattled off a few books that I had read recently that I thought might appeal to her son, including Neal Shusterman's very fabulous Challenger Deep as well as Alex Cavanaugh's Cassastar sci-fi series (my nephew loves!).

I get that people, particularly tweens and teens, like to read books that have relatable characters.  In fact, some might say that young adults need these books, particularly if the goal is to foster a lifetime love of reading.  I think (or perhaps, I hope?) that readers morph into readers that simply want to read stories with protagonists with relatable character traits, where things like gender, ethnicity, socio-economic status, etc. do not matter.  In the end, all that's needed is a damn good story.

Thoughts, dreams, aspirations?

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You recommended my book and he really liked it? Thank you! That just made my day.
When I was a teen, I went from kids books straight to adult science fiction and fantasy because there wasn't anything in between.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

Have I mentioned I write 'dude lit' *smile*