Monday, March 2, 2015

The Best Hiking Partners...

...don't talk very much.

One of the reasons Craig and I make such great hiking partners is because we do very little talking on our long desert hikes.  There's something very rejuvenating about listening to the quiet.  And you get lots of it in the desert, out in the middle of nowhere.  Wish that I could bottle it.


In the background, you can see the path that we took.
This past weekend, we ventured further into the McDowell
Mountain Preserve, just up the street from where we live.  I wanted to see the wildflowers; Craig wanted to reach the top of Overlook Pass.  We did both.  This was about a five-mile hike.  The elevation changed significantly about 1 mile into the hike. 

Thanks to some good rain so far this year, the desert wildflowers have started to sprout.  On this hike, we saw lots of red, yellow, and purple flowers.  I think the red is my favorite.

Hello, gorgeous!


Wildflowers!



5 comments:

shelly said...

Lovely pictures. And I love to hike which I usually do by myself. Although, I haven't gone since my experience with a wild boar.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The desert is so beautiful - a lot to see on a hike. And nice you guys can do it without a lot of chatter.

Karen Walker said...

I love the desert - especially wildflowers.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

ahhh

I want more pictures. I was in El Paso not long ago for a family matter and reveled in the desert. (though I'm happy to be back in FL) I spent my youth there...better than bars and pool clubs, eh.

LD Masterson said...

There are few sounds as lovely as the silence of nature.

Lovely pictures.