Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thankful

I know that Thanksgiving means a lot of different things to people.  For me and my family, it was always a time to simply be together and enjoy catching up, laughing, eating delicious comfort foods that only my mother could cook, setting a pretty table with the fancy plates, having at least one petty argument with a sibling about something stupid, inevitably watching It's a Wonderful Life at least once and, yes, being thankful for our many blessings.  Thanksgiving continues to be my favorite holiday and I don't think that will ever change.

It's going on three years that my parents passed away and we forge ahead with new traditions and new memories.  I can finally say that things do get easier with time after your loved ones pass away though they never get easy.  I've learned that there will always be a permanent hole in my heart that only my parents can fill.  And that's just the way it is. 

I hope you have a wonderful weekend with your families.  To those in the US that celebrate, Happy Thanksgiving!  And pass the mashed potatoes!

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures. ~Thornton Wilder (American novelist, 1897-1975)

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hope you still enjoy it with the rest of your family. As we grow older, traditions do change a bit.
Happy Thanksgiving, Liz.

Murees Dupé said...

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Of course you will always miss your parents, I know I still miss my dad. Wishing you the best.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

The photo you used is perfect. I've always loved nature...but now that I carry a camera with me on every walk/hike/ride...I've learned to appreciate tiny things I never noticed before...and have grown more thankful EVERYDAY.

Happy Thanksgiving to your tribe.

shelly said...

Aw...that was sweet. Happy Thanksgiving.

CA Heaven said...

Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

We're not celebrating Thanksgiving over here, except sometimes when we're invited to a friend of mine who is married to an American. A real American Thanksgiving dinner is great >:)

Cold As Heaven

LD Masterson said...

I'm late getting here but I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. This was our first without my dad so it was hard but I know it will get easier with time.