Monday, August 4, 2014

She's Alive!

*Squints into the sun*
*Emerges from writer's cave*
*Realizes she needs a haircut*

How've ya been?  Long time, no see.  How's the summer been treating you? 

I've gotta bunch of books to talk about and recommend today.  In between about a million other things that I've had going on this summer, I have managed to read a ton of books. No big surprise there.  Here are a few that I loved:


Girls Like Us by Gail Giles

This book was like an emotional gut-punch.  It's the story of two girls with disabilities who set out to make lives for themselves, post-high school.  Told in dual POVs, the voices are authentic and realistic. The story is hopeful and sad and frustrating and lovely.  It's like no book I've read before.  I adored it. 



The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

It's been a long time since I've read a historical but my sister recommended this one to me so I knew I had to read it.  Set in the 1800's, this story is told in dual POVs: a white girl and the slave she was given for her eleventh birthday. The story spans 35 years with close attention to time period detail.  The storytelling is magnificent.  Interestingly, in the author's note in the back of the book, we learn that the story was inspired by the real Sarah Grimke, one of the early pioneers of abolition and women's rights movements. 




We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

When I opened this book, I didn't know what to expect.  Admittedly, at first I was turned off.  Another story about poor, misunderstood rich kids from the East Coast? Thank you, no.  Not my kinda thing.  Very quickly, however, I was lassoed by the hauntingly beautiful writing and, once in, could not put it down.  This story is YA, mystery, thriller, even romance.  It's kinda like Gone Girl for the YA crowd.  I don't want to say too much; otherwise, I could spoil it for you.  Anyway, pick this one up.  It's lovely.

A few others that I'm currently reading (and loving) but haven't quite finished yet:

Drowned by Nichola Reilly
This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

What's on your e-reader? 

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey Liz! Good to hear from you. I recently finished a Scott Lynch book and as soon as I've finished edits on my latest manuscript, I have two other books I need to read.

Jean Davis said...

Glad to see you're still alive...and reading. :)