Monday, May 5, 2014

Hats and Humble Beginnings and No Excuses

AP Photo/Morry Gash
California Chrome, ridden by jockey
Victor Espinoza, pulled away to win
the 140th Kentucky Derby.
I don't get excited about horse races except for one time each year: The Kentucky Derby.  Usually this time each year I get the urge to sip a mint julep and look at those crazy Derby hats, which look more lawn ornament than hat.

This year's Derby winner, California Chrome, was never expected to win.  The horse didn't have the normal pedigree; the owners weren't the usual high-brow types and the trainer was pushing 80.  Basically everyone involved with California Chrome got handed plenty of reasons why they shouldn't be in the horse-racing business.  But these guys did it anyway.

They didn't ask for permission. They figured out a plan, followed their hearts and their passion and DID IT ANYWAY.   Sound familiar?

I LOVE this story. 

Click here to read more about it. And if you're just into the crazy hats, click here.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Winners find a way to make it happen!

Trisha F said...

YAY, I love it when the underdog - or in this case, the underhorse! - comes out on top! :)

When my mum was a kid, they'd go to the races maybe once a year, and all the kids got to put a bet on the horse of their choice. Mum always chose the one that looked sad or was limping. :P

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Liz,

It's always great when the underdog wins!

STILL WINTER here in Chicago.... Be grateful you weren't here this year! BEYOND AWEFUL!

Lexa Cain said...

I loved watching when I was younger, but just don't have the time nowadays. Hats can be so weird. I love the ones they used in 40-50s movies. :)

LD Masterson said...

I very much enjoyed watching this nobody horse blow everyone away.

But I just don't get those hats.

Danette Baltzer said...

I love the Kentucky Derby and could kick myself for letting this year get by me. This horse sounds amazing as I've been hearing about him.