Monday, December 2, 2013

Food Coma and Books

My newest tradition is trying at least two new recipes over the holidays, in addition to the old standbys that my dear mother used to cook.  Of course, my cooking will never compare to Mom's--not even a little bit--but, I try.  This year for Thanksgiving: Spinach Gruyère Casserole and Four Cheese Macaroni & Cheese Casserole. (Yes, we like casseroles at my house.  And cheese.  And pasta.)

Not sure if I'll make the Spinach Gruyère again but a big thumbs up on the Mac & Cheese but next time I think I'll add a little minced garlic for some extra oomph. 

So how was your food coma?

In bookish news this past weekend, I finished Sara Polsky's This Is How I Find Her, a story of a teen dealing with her mother's mental illness.  Very genuine and full of heart.  Highly recommend.  I also started Alice Munro's Dear Life, a book of short stories.  I'm enjoying them very much.   

Don't forget:  Susanna Ives's Wicked Little Secrets is out this week!!

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We like pasta and cheese as well! And garlic. I've learned not to overdo it on Thanksgiving though.

shelly said...

Mac and cheese sounds great. Have you ever made it with butternut squash? Very yummy.

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI, Liz,

Glad to hear all went well for your Thanksgiving….

I just made it back for the holiday after spending three weeks on top of the Andes mountains in Bogota, Colombia….

I can finally BREATHE again…. the air was so thin… 9000 ft. above sea level. So glad to be back by the shores of Florida… here for another two weeks then back to Chicago for Christmas. Have to be in the snow…..

Lexa Cain said...

We love cheese in my house, too, and that 4 cheese casserole sounds delicious! Thanks for the book recommendation. :-)

LD Masterson said...

Cheese. Pasta. Yup, two of my basic food groups.