Monday, October 28, 2013

Fountain Hills Theater: Sherlock's Last Case

I love it when I discover those local diamonds in the rough and this weekend I found it in Fountain Hills Theater.

Not only is this a wonderful and intimate place to enjoy community theater but this past weekend they opened Charles Marowitz’s Broadway play, Sherlock's Last Case

As you might expect, the play included a mystery.  Specifically, Holmes receives a death threat and he and his sidekick Doctor Watson have to figure out the skinny of it all.  There's a little bit of romance, lots of twists, and a final turn. 

The theater is small and there isn't a bad seat in the house and I love that about this place.  You almost feel part of the play.  In addition to the wonderful acting (special kudos to Donna Georgette who played a hilarious Mrs. Hudson!), I was truly impressed by the stage, sound and costumes.  It really felt like 1897 Victorian England at Sherlock Holmes' Baker Street flat and I had an immediate urge to prepare tea and scones. 

I don't want to give up too much about the play.  You'll have to see it for yourself and I encourage anyone who lives in Phoenix or the surrounding areas to do so.  The play only runs until November 10.

I've already taken a peek at upcoming plays scheduled at this theater. Needless to say, I'll be back.  Click here for tickets and schedule information.

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I haven't been to a theater play in years. That sounds like a good one - and a great location!

Danette Baltzer said...

Looks fun! local theaters are great!!

LD Masterson said...

I love local theater. We have four community and one resident professional company near us and I try to go to them all.