Monday, July 1, 2013

How Hot Was It?

Damn hot.

That's how hot it was in the American Southwest this past weekend. 

115 degrees.
117 degrees.
119 degrees (at least according to my car temp gauge)

We were up in the mountains of Overgaard, Arizona, this past week but came back early to Phoenix because it was even hot in the usually cool mountains.  At least in Phoenix  I have air conditioning. 

Whenever it's this hot, I'm reminded of that Twilight Zone episode called "The Midnight Sun" where the woman and her neighbor start hallucinating when it becomes unbearably hot in their NYC apartment and the whole city goes crazy (or crazier).  Although Craig and I didn't start hallucinating, we didn't do much except go from our air conditioned car to our air conditioned house.  This is the time of year though when we question our sanity for living in the desert.  It typically gets this hot right before the monsoons start, and the good news is that the monsoon rains are expected to start next week.  We should cool off to a chilly 103 degrees by next week.  Seriously, when it starts to rain, it can even become quite pleasant.  And we love the rain in the desert.  And there's less chance of hallucinations.

This weekend was a good excuse to stay in and catch up on reading.  I finished three really good books and will post reviews to Goodreads.  We also rented Gangster Squad with Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling and Sean Penn. And, oh my, Ryan Gosling.  Well.  Yeah.  A bit too violent for me but there was just enough story to keep me interested.  And there was Ryan Gosling.  Did I say Ryan Gosling? :)

Hope you stayed cool and did not hallucinate!

14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I remember temperatures like that when we lived in Arizona. Even without humidity, that is HOT!

mshatch said...

wow, that is hot!

shelly said...

Thank goodness Florida isn't that hot. Keep cool.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

James Garcia Jr. said...

Hi, Liz. Was Ryan Gosling in that film? I could have sworn he was, but you didn't say. ;)
Here in the central valley it has been hovering on both sides of 110. We didn't really go anywhere/do anything either. Yesterday I caught up on laptop work and then watched two films I hadn't see yet: Sinister with Ethan Hawke and Out of Africa. Can you believe I'm 44 and had never seen that film? It was very good, and probably deserved more Oscars than it got.
Stay cool, my friend.

-Jimmy

Karen Walker said...

Liz, it's been 100 or more here in Albuquerque as well. Our air conditioning had to work so hard it didn't feel as cool as it usually does, but I guess it helped somewhat. This is ridiculous.

Heather M. Gardner said...

I have no idea what those temps would feel like. We've hit low 100's in NY but never anything like that. Currently we are having one June/July thunderstorm after another. Almost every day.

I hope you get some relief soon.
Heather

LD Masterson said...

Way too hot for me and I like hot.

The Midwest is also getting hit by those back-to-back-to-back thunderstorms. Poor Sophie is spending all her time hiding under the bed.

CA Heaven said...

I've experienced 120 Fahrenheit once, when I visited Palm Springs, CA, in August. Not a place where I wanna live. I'm made for snow and ice.

BTW, I just came home after 5 days of skiing on a glacier >:)

Cold As Heaven

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Yipes, by comparison, Georgia has been downright chilly. Barely ninety degrees. I don't care HOW dry the heat is where you are, anything over 100 is way too hot for comfort. I mean, come on... it's a dry heat inside my oven, too. That doesn't mean I wanta crawl in there.

Anne R. Allen said...

How nice that you could deal with this hellish heatwave by writing some book reviews! The whole southwest is a furnace. Breaking all the records around here in Central CA. It was 117 inland from here yesterday. Even here at the beach, it's been pretty durn hot. Today we have marine layer, but it's more like a steam layer. It must be so tough to bear further inland. Keep cool!

J E Oneil said...

Eek, temperatures in the hundreds. And I was complaining about the heat out here.

I love that Twilight Zone episode. It inspired the book I wrote about the same thing happening :). I bet it would be good research to visit the southwest. But after the rains.

Stephanie said...

Hope things cool off soon. I loved that Twilight Zone episode. Oddly it gave me chills :)

Sarah Allen said...

Gotta love Twilight Zone :) Hopefully the incredible desert storms make up for the heat.

Sarah Allen
(From Sarah, With Joy)

Trisha F said...

I do not envy you one bit on those temps. I hate our summer here as well and am revelling in the chilly temps we're currently enjoying.

Rain in the desert would be beautiful, I imagine! I know I've experienced some awesome storms in the Australian desert in the height of our summer. It's like being on another planet.