Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Short Stories and Novels and Whiskers on Kittens

So I'm writing a YA short story.  For realz.  With a deadline and everything.

It's been a while since I've written one as I'm usually writing a novel.  While the process is (somewhat) the same for writing both of them, it feels as if a short story has a fast-forward button.  Kind of like poetry, you have to say more with a lot less.  When you figure that a typical YA novel is somewhere between 60,000-80,000 words and a short story is around 20,000, that's a LOT less.

Do you prefer to read/write short stories to full-length novels?

5 comments:

shelly said...

I'll read and write either.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

LD Masterson said...

I've only gotten into writing short stories in the last couple years. I still prefer the long form but I think I'm getting the knack of telling more with a lot fewer words.

Angelina Rain said...

I prefer short stories. I usually don't have the time to commit myself to a long book. Sometimes I only get two hours a week to read, so with that timeline, it might take me a whole month or longer to read an actual novel.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can read either!

James Garcia Jr. said...

"For realz." I loved that! Hi, Liz. I've got a for realz for you, too. I'm finishing up work on my first paranormal romance. Can you believe that? Me? The horror guy? It's great fun and very exciting since the market seems to be so much hungrier for that than horror. We'll see...
I usually like to read longer works, but I'm open to shorts.
Best of luck with yours, my friend.

-Jimmy