Friday, November 16, 2012

Hodgepodge Roundup

One of the bummers about working at home is that it's tough to go anywhere and find peace when you have people working on your house.  This week at Chez Fichera was the week of house painters, which will soon be followed by roofers.  Imagine water tapping onto the middle of your forehead all day.  That's what it will be like when the Roof Guys get here.  I am seriously contemplating moving to the middle of the desert and living in a tent.  I'd probably get a lot more writing done that way.

In between all the noise and dust, I have rented a couple of good movies and read a few good books.

Of note:

Moonrise Kingdom with Bruce Willis and Ed Norton.  Very quirky and darkly sweet movie with an eclectic cast about two precocious pre-teens in the 1960's who make a pact to run away together in New England.  The kind of movie you will either love or hate.  Me = Love.  My husband, not so much.

Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr.  A teenage girl makes some bad choices and then has to cope with them while also trying to survive her dysfunctional family.   I love the simplicity of Zarr's writing.  It packs such punch.  She deals with edgy issues without being preachy.

The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie.  A collection of dark short stories, all depicting the Native American experience.  This book was also the basis for the movie Smoke Signals, which I loved.  The kind of book I could read more than once. The writing is very raw and real.  Alexie's writing to me is like walking through a burned out forest: everything is so stark and stripped down to the bare essentials and there's such beauty and honesty in that.

I know it's NaNoWriMo month for many people and not sure why but November is usually the month I get the least amount of writing work done.  I think those huge word counts everybody reports each day on Twitter and Facebook kind of psyches me out. 

Fun plans this weekend?  Hope you have a good one. 

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Maybe a hotel is in order while they work on the roof?

Murees Dupé said...

Good-luck with the renovations, it sounds like you have a great remedy for the renovation blues (with the movies and books).

Karen Walker said...

Renovations are not fun during the process - hope you find some peace and quiet. November has been a dry month of writing for me as well. Sigh! Now off on vacation, so maybe December will be more fruitful.
Take care.
Karen

Tracy Jo said...

I loved Moonrise Kingdom. That would be hard having the work done but oh, am I jealous. Our house seriously needs some paint. :-) No plans this weekend and that makes me SO HAPPY!!!!! Have a great one!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, liz,

BOY can I RELATE to the construction thing. I just had my remodel finished. I needed a writing room DESPERATELY, but since I live in a condo adding on a room wasn't an option...

So what's a writer to do... KICK IN THE INTERIOR DESIGNER....

When I bought this place the main feature was the HUGE living room with FIVE large SE windows facing Lincoln Park and downtown. It was time for drastic measures ... so ... I split the room and created the most AMAZING writing space. I have it posted at my blog if you get a chance to drop by...

Of course I haven't written a word in there yet, because I have to reorganize the WHOLE condo. LOL. It's never done.... is it? And Thanksgiving is next week.

I HOPE they have your place put together by then!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Maybe you need to get yourself a good pair of noise-canceling headphones. And a pink helmet. Not that the helmet will do any good, but the image of you wearing it while pounding away on your computer makes me smile.

James Garcia Jr. said...

Yikes! Good luck with the renovations. It'll be great when it's over, right? Yeah, I know - easy for me to say.

-Jimmy

Trisha said...

I added that Teenaged Girl story to my GR to-read list. Thanks for the recommendation :)

My weekend is over & done and it was a mix of 'doing stuff' and 'relaxation', so it was good.

Danette said...

Painting seems fairly quiet and easy to manage until you deal with the fumes in some paint. The roof was recently painted at work and I suffered with migraines the entire time- and we didn't even stay in the building the whole time. Sheesh!