Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Author Interview: Meet JB Lynn


JB Lynn is in da house today!
 
*claps hands wildly*
 
I've had the pleasure of getting to know JB Lynn these last couple of years, along with her books.  I first fell in love with The First Victim and then Confessions of A Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman.  Today, I wanted to talk to her about her latest Further Confessions, among other things, including exercise, Nancy Drew and finding inspiration in the shower.   And, by the way, don't you love that book cover??! Genius.
 
JB is also giving away 3 signed bookmarks to 3 random commenters.  Winners will be announced in the Comments on Friday.  So, without further ado, please meet, JB! 

1)    Where did you get your idea for your CONFESSIONS series?
In the shower.  I get all my best ideas when I’m either in the shower or driving the car. Basically when I can’t possibly write them down. (I’ve now taken to keeping a Dry Erase marker in the bathroom so that I can scribble notes on my fogged up mirror, lol.)
But I’m guessing that’s not what you were asking. (Yes, I am a smartass like my characters in the books!)
The seeds of the idea came to me when I saw one of those news stories about a woman who’d tried to hire a hitman to kill her husband and I was left wondering: 1) How come we never hear stories about a hitWOMAN being hired? 2) What kind of person becomes a hitperson?
I decided I wanted to make my hitwoman a sympathetic protagonist, so I had to give her a very good reason for her to do what she does….but even then the story didn’t really interest me, so I decided to make it a bit of a humorous farce.
2)    Why are you drawn to write mysteries?
I only write what I’d like to read. I’m not sure Confessions qualifies as a mystery (though it does have some mystery elements) but I do think the books I grew up reading, everything from Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys to Agatha Christie, Ed McBain, and Robert Parker definitely influence me.
As a reader, I like figuring things out. Half the time I do it using logic, and half the time it’s just a hunch based on what I know about storytelling. I tend to speed read through the end of a book once I’m pretty sure I know who the bad guy is, lol. It’s a thrill to say, “I knew it!” and just as exciting (assuming a writer has done her/his job well) to say, “how did I not guess that?”. I apply the same standards when writing.
3)    What do you like best in mysteries?
I love the idea of good overcoming evil. I love that nothing is as it seems in a mystery. A well-executed misdirection or unexpected twist makes my heart smile.
4)    I know that you like to hike/run, how do you fit it into your schedule? Where do you do your hiking/running?
Great question! I just walked a half marathon last week. (I’d wanted to run it, but I was plagued by a couple of injuries. In some ways, it was a good metaphor to writing difficulties…you never know what stumbling blocks life is going to throw across your path.)
The more consistent I am with my physical exercise, the more productive I am with my writing. I need the stress reduction it provides, otherwise I can’t focus on my work, so it rates pretty high on my To Do list. Whereas watching TV (which I know is a big stress reducer for a lot of people) falls pretty low. 
I try to run/walk three times per week. Because I live in NJ, which is the most densely populated state (meaning our traffic is insanely dangerous) I’m fairly limited where it’s safe to run. I run on a treadmill, a converted (paved) trolley path, at the track of a local high school, and at my favorite spot, the county park.
The other days I walk or hike with my dog either around the neighborhood or at another county park. I let the mutt choose our pace. Sometimes it’s quite aerobic and others it has a meandering, meditative quality. 
Thanks so much for having me, Liz. I can’t wait to read HOOKED!
To learn more about JB Lynn, please visit: www.jblynn.com
For links to purchase her books, please visit: http://www.harpercollins.com/authors/38895/JB_Lynn/index.aspx
 

From: FURTHER CONFESSIONS OF A SLIGHTLY NEUROTIC HITWOMAN
 
Blurb:
 
Take three wacky aunts,two talking animals,one nervous bride,and an upcoming hit,and you've got the follow-upto JB Lynn's wickedly funnyConfessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman.
Knocking off a drug kingpin was the last thing on Maggie Lee's to-do list, but when a tragic accident leaves her beloved niece orphaned and in the hospital, Maggie will go to desperate lengths to land the money needed for her care.
But the drug kingpin is the least of her worries. Maggie's aunts are driving her crazy, her best friend's turned into a bridezilla…and a knock on the head has given Maggie Dr. Dolittle abilities—she can talk to animals. Unfortunately, they talk back.
It's just another day in the life of this neurotic hitwoman…

Excerpt:
 
"I see a disco ball in your future.” Armani Vasquez, the closest thing I had to a friend at Insuring the Future, delivered this pronouncement right after she sprinkled a handful of candy corn into her Caesar salad.
Disgusted by her food combination, I pushed my own peanut butter and jelly sandwich away. “Really? A disco ball?”
If you’d told me a month ago that I’d be leaning over a table in the lunchroom, paying close attention to the bizarre premonitions of my half-crippled, wannabe-psychic coworker, I would have said you were crazy.
But I’d had one hell of a month.
First there had been the car accident. My sister Theresa and her husband, Dirk, were killed; my three-year-old niece, Katie, wound up in a coma; and I ended up with the ability to talk to animals. Trust me, I know exactly how crazy that sounds, but it’s true … I think.
On top of everything else, I inadvertently found myself hurtling down a career path I never could have imagined.
I’m now a hitwoman for hire. Yes, I kill people for money … but just so you know, I don’t go around killing just anyone. I’ve got standards. The two men I killed were bad men, very bad men. 

*****

Don't forget that JB is giving away 3 signed bookmarks just for commenting! The winners will be announced on Friday in the Comments following this post.  Thanks for spending time on the blog with us today, JB!

8 comments:

jblynn said...

Thanks so much for having me, Liz!

Liz Fichera said...

Anytime! So glad you were able to stop by today. How goes the blog tour?

LD Masterson said...

This sounds like a great series. How have I not discovered these? Thanks, Liz for hosting JB.

jblynn said...

Thanks, LD. Liz is the best!

jblynn said...

Liz -- the tour is exhausting, but it's fun to meet new people :-)

Liz Fichera said...

LD, JB will be contacting you for your bookmark!

LTM said...

omg! I am SO in love w/the title of this book and w/the cover and with the hilarious blurb! Nervous aunts, a hit... :D

My best ideas come in the shower, too. And when running. Usually when I'm at the farthest point from the house and have nothing to write on... :D

Best w/the new book, JB! It looks fantastic~ <3

Liz Fichera said...

Winners: Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. JB lives on the east coast and was effected by Sandy. Stay tuned!