Thursday, September 20, 2012

Reading Roundup

Seems I've read so many good books lately that it was time to do a Reading Roundup post. In no particular order, here a few of my faves of late.  I posted reviews on Goodreads too if you want more detail or want to learn more about these books:

1) Wonder by R.J. Palacio.  I adored this book about a boy with a facial deformity.  It's an MG book, but it's the type of book that anyone of any age can appreciate and enjoy. 

2) Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett.  I loved the voice of the main character, Rose.  I could relate to her in so many ways but I'll leave it at that.  Very entertaining read.

3) After by Kristin Harmel.  Heart-breaking story about a girl coping with her father's death but told very much in an authentically believable YA voice.  I liked this one very much.  Yes, I cried.

4) I Will Save You by Matt De La Pena.  I love reading YA books written by men.  Their voices and stories have a different edge and quirkiness and I appreciate that.  It was so interesting to read this one (it kinda read like a diary) about a boy trying to escape the expectations that were set for him.

5) Stupid Fast by Geoff Herbach.  Hilarious voice and story about a boy who experiences the growing spurt of all growing spurts and goes from geek to jock.  Laughed out loud throughout this one.

6) Cassastar and Cassafire by Alex Cavanaugh.  Full disclosure: These books were read by my nephew and he devoured them!! But I wanted to give a shoutout to Ninja Alex for a job well done. My nephew is a picky reader but these certainly held his attention.  Way to write, Alex! :)

What have you read lately?  Any recs?

3 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

I haven't read any of those books! But Alex's is on my TBR list! :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Oh wow, that's cool! Glad your nephew enjoyed them. I aim to entertain.

Trisha said...

Thanks for the list, Liz - I am going to check out your reviews on GR for all of them. I already have Alex's on my TBR too :)