Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Don't Kiss A Rattlesnake


I was hiking yesterday at one of my favorite desert spots and crossed paths with a rattlesnake.  It wasn't the first time it had ever happened but it certainly came a little too close for comfort for my tastes.  And I heard it's rattle, loud and clear.  It was not a happy rattlesnake.

Normally the snakes aren't out when I hike because it's too hot.  But Phoenix had a couple days of rare rainy, gray weather and, well, I guess the rattlesnakes got tired of hiding out beneath their rocks all day. 

And this rattlesnake was green.  The ones I had seen before were brown.  So, being the weirdly curious person I am, I came home and immediately researched it.  (No, it did not bite me, thank god.)

Seems the rattlesnake was a Mohave rattlesnake or crotalus scutulatus.  They can grow to about three feet but the one I saw was two feet.  The venom can be debilitating and deadly if left untreated.  Fortunately the rattlesnake and I didn't reach that point in our relationship.  I made a bee-line and went completely off the path, giving the rattler plenty of room. 

Always an adventure.

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't think I'd want to come that close to one either! Glad you heard him in time.

LD Masterson said...

I'm impressed that you measured him (even visually). I think if I encountered a rattlesnake my memory would make him ten feet long. At least.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Wow...that's a close call. If you heard the rattle, it's because you had almost stepped on it. That could have been tragic.

Cold As Heaven said...

Rattle snakes are cool animals; fun to watch at a proper distance, but scary when they disappear under the rocks, and may possibly come back right by your feet

Cold As Heaven

Amy Jarecki said...

OMG...I HATE snakes. I am such a weeny when I come upon one when hiking...and I'm always the one who finds them. So glad that you are unharmed!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

At least he was a true "gentleman" and rattled to let you know he was there. Other snakes aren't that polite. Even so, that was a little too close for comfort.

Jess said...

Wow you are lucky!! I think I would have been scared out of my whits. *hahaa*