Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Mountain and Me

There's a mountain near my house called Telegraph Pass.  It's kind of like the best kept secret for my 'hood because not too many people know about it.  For hikers and climbers, it's a little like paradise because it provides the best workout in the shortest amount of time possible (one hour to climb up and down, tops). 

In fact, the workout is so grueling yet so fun it doesn't even seem like a workout, if that makes any sense at all.  When I go to "hike the hill," I'm usually the only person out there, except for maybe a stray coyote.  I love this place so much that I even ditched my gym membership.   Plus, I really couldn't stand the music they played at my gym.

This is the place where I go for inspiration and to really really really sweat up a storm.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." -- Jack London (1876-1916)

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Uphill is the best way to increase strength and endurance!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

We have Stone Mountain here, and I think it's right about a mile to the top. The second half of the climb is pretty tough going, but it's worth it just to see the view.

Karen Walker said...

How lovely to be so close to a mountain you can climb it whenever you want. The closest mountain to me are the Sandias and it's a drive.
Karen

Kittie Howard said...

Ahhh, sounds gorgeous. Can't blame you for dropping the gym membership. AND, I see you've got a new book coming. YAY! Love your writing.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

I just go to the gym. It's easier.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, liz,

What a great way to keep in shape... I'm all for it! Nothing better than nature to workout the muscles and clear the mind...

SO beautiful. As you know, I skirt Chicago's gorgeous lakefront for miles to get my workout ... that is until November. LOL.

Danette said...

Sounds awesome! And you live in a place where you can make that climb virtually all year round. Cheers!

Murees Dupé said...

It really does sound like an amazing place. Yay, for it being a great workout spot too. Enjoy your little paradise.