Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Perspectives

I saw this photo on Facebook yesterday.  Yes, you really can get some cool info on Facebook sometimes if you weed through your Timeline (or NewsFeed) long enough. 

Anyway, this is a photo from the Curiosity Rover on Mars.  It's a view of Earth.  From Mars.  How cool is that?!

This is the kind of photo that gets you to think Big Jack Handey Thoughts.  Like...

Just how insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things.  And just how incredibly awesome the Universe is.

It's still amazing to me that there is this contraption on Mars right now, right this very second, taking pictures of Mars and sending them back to us, never mind the incredible mind-blowingness of getting the Curiosity Rover to Mars in the first place.

Kind of makes you wonder: if we can do this in 2012, what will they be able to do in 2112?

P.S. I'm a total space geek.
P.S.S. Mars looks a lot like places in Arizona.

9 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

I've seen that photo on Facebook a lot recently! It's very cool!

Jessica Bell said...

Yes, it is fascinating, isn't it! Problem is ... it's things like this that get me all depressed. If we're so small, what's the point? Hmmm ... I"m really not feeling as negative as that sounds, but it is food for thought! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Nothing wrong with being a space geek!
And I get the same feeling when at the beach and looking at the ocean.

Karen Walker said...

And New Mexico...
Awesome photo, Liz
karen

LTM said...

Ok, that's just cool. :D You're right. Mars looks like Arizona... and I'm happy about that (b/c of my recent scifi book).

Very cool, Liz! <3

LD Masterson said...

I get that feeling the old fashioned way...staring at the stars at night.

Trisha said...

I haven't seen that before - I dont' have a TV right now and I tend to get most news that way, in TV times. But I do intend to get a TV soon :)

I totally agree that it's mind-boggling to think about how tiny we really are. And we think we're so important ;)

James Garcia Jr. said...

Thanks for the perspective, Liz. We take things so for granted, don't we? I'm not necessarily a space-geek, but think of all that went in to getting that photo, and yet most of us shrugged and went on to the next thing.
Take care and have a great weekend.

-Jimmy

Danette said...

I'm not so sure we will accomplish what we have the potential to accomplish in 2112. Climate change will most likely be the death knell of these kinds of expeditions. But it is SO COOL that we are exploring Mars. I can't wait to see the pics that will be coming in!