Tuesday, July 31, 2012

PUSHING THE LIMITS by Katie McGarry

I am very excited to be hosting Katie McGarry on the blog today.  Her debut contemporary young adult novel, Pushing the Limits, releases today from Harlequin TEEN.   Isn't the cover gorgeous?  I was lucky enough to get an ARC and I devoured this book in a single weekend.  Intense, edgy and angsty. My kinda read.  I suggest that you run, don't walk, to get a copy.  It's that good.
Anyway, I sat down in the virtual chair with Katie a few weeks ago and asked her a few questions.  Here's a little bit more about Katie and her novel:

Q: Why did you start writing YA?
A: To me, being a teenager is like standing on the edge of a cliff and laid out in front of you are all the possibilities for the future. Adrenaline rushes through your blood stream as you think about all the adventures waiting for you, but your hands also start to sweat. In order to experience all that life has to offer, you have to jump.  Jumping can be terrifying.  That gray area between being a child and becoming an adult is rich with emotions. I love capturing those emotions and the rush of jumping into the future.

Q: What’s the inspiration behind Pushing the Limits?
A: Pushing the Limits sort of fell into my lap. I was actually writing another story when I was swept with the need to write a family in therapy. Within a few paragraphs, I knew I had found a new voice. It was witty yet sad. The voice belonged to Echo.  Even though I knew I had strayed from my original story, I finished out this new chapter. I fell in love with Echo and I was desperate to find out why this character was so heart broken. In order to do that, I had to continue to write her story.

Q: What’s next for you?
A: My next Young Adult novel, Dare You To, is scheduled for release in 2013. Dare You To follows the story of Noah’s friend, Beth.

Want to learn more about Katie? Visit her at www.katielmcgarry.com or follow her on Twitter @KatieMcGarry.  Pushing the Limits is now available everywhere books are sold.

2 comments:

Murees Dupé said...

Thank you for letting me know, I appreciate it.

LTM said...

PTL sounds very good! Can't wait to read it! Thanks for the heads up, Liz! :o) <3