Friday, June 29, 2012

To Thine Own Self Be True

"To have a Facebook Fan page or not to have a Facebook Fan page. That is the question."
                                                 --Bill Shakespearestein

I'm so torn.  I know the conventional wisdom is that I should create a Facebook Fan page for my books but it just doesn't feel...

--right?
--genuine?
--a good use of my time?

I like posting and reading posts on Facebook, way more than I ever thought I would.  It's fun to have virtual conversations with people all over the world.  That's cool.  No one seems to mind (or at least they haven't screamed at me) when I post the occasional post or link about guest blogging or an upcoming book release.  My posts are probably 90% personal and 10% book-related. And I've connected with people I haven't talked to in decades. It's been kind of surreal, actually.

So I'm torn about creating a Facebook Fan page where I will probably do the same exact thing I'm doing on my personal Facebook page.  I don't like the thought of begging/goading people to "Like" my Facebook page either.  Having two pages doesn't exactly thrill me either.

Maybe some day, the need for a fan page will be greater.  That would be cool, certainly. But I'm not sure if that time is now. 

Thoughts?

P.S. Shameless plug: Are we Facebook friends? If not, why not?  I like you.  Let's connect!
Click here.



11 comments:

Amy Jarecki said...

I have a FB fan page, but I seem to attract a lot more friends on my personal page.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Back when Facebook had 'groups' I had one for my YA series. Never felt right creating a fan page for myself.

Jill Hathaway said...

This is why I haven't created one yet. It feels yucky to ask people to "like" me, and then there's no discourse. It's just me spouting off book-related crap to people. I'd much rather have a mutual relationship with my readers.

Leah Braemel said...

I have a FB fan page (not that I like calling it that, I prefer to think of it as my "author" page.) The main advantage to it is when you get close to 5000 FB friends on your profile, you get cut off and can't add any more. Once that happens even if a fan wants to friend you/follow you they can't where a page doesn't have any "likes" limits.

I'm trying to remember to post more personal stuff on my page to get people talking about it. Or you can post excerpts...anything that will keep people interested in following it.

Tracy Jo said...

Liz - Do it! I LOVE following the people, restaurants, theaters, etc. that interest me. It is cool when you can connect and see that authors are real people...plus it makes me want to buy their books. I could go on and on here because I am not sure why FB kind of got a bad name or is any different than other networking, marketing, emailing, etc. It is just another form of communication, a way to support what we care about and I have connected with so many amazing people. To me, it is not any different than when someone is selling something at a fair or puts up posters in a small town or commercials. It is one stop shopping for me to follow the people and places that I love. :-) Whew...are you hoping I am done now? Lol! Just do it!

KarenG said...

I've never done the fan page either. It seems like most authors who do are trying to steer people to it who are friends with them on their personal page. I think it's different if you're a bestselling, celebrity-type. I'm not even close to that so I'm happy with my personal page which is quite eclectic with friends, family, writers, and friends of my kids.

LD Masterson said...

I have a personal page that I use a lot and a fan page that I abandoned and will be taking down as soon as I figure out how not to mess up my regular page account in the process. Perhaps later on when I have more need, I'll try the fan page idea again.

Anne R. Allen said...

I have an author page as well as a personal page and mostly it's a pain. I have to remember to post things on there as well as on my personal page, and mostly I forget. Nobody much goes there. Not even me. So when I get a comment I may not see it for days. So if I had it to do over, I'd wait until I was getting close to 4500 friends on my personal page to make the switch. (I should have such problems!)

Danette said...

We are not facebook friends because I do not have a facebook page (for personal reasons). I am not sure having one more social media thing is worth it but I think you have to do what you think will work for you. I don't think it would work for me...

Lydia Kang said...

Yep, we're friends!

I have an author page (I feel weird calling it a fan page). We'll see if it comes in handy after my book actually comes out.

I rarely post on it, but my twitter account is specifically linked to my author page and I tweet a lot. So this way I'm not deluging my "normal" FB friends with author related stuff all the time.(On twitter I tend to stick to more writerly stuff; when I want a "regular" tweet to go to my regular page, I have it linked so that I use the #FB hashtag to tweet to both. Complicated, no?

James Garcia Jr. said...

Hello, Liz. I have both pages. The fan page doesn't really do much at the moment. Hopefully sometime soon it will. I did that because I didn't want my friends and family to be inundated with the bigshot author-talk all of the time.

-Jimmy