Monday, June 11, 2012

Never Surrender

Today I'm helping YA author Elana Johnson celebrate the release of her latest novel, Surrender, by participating in her Never Surrender Blogfest.  Wanna participate? Click here.

A never surrender story?  Gee.  Where do I start.  I think never surrendering pretty much goes with the territory with being a writer and my story is probably shared by 99.9% of the traditionally published authors out there:  Write a novel. Work like hell to find an agent/publisher. Query. Query. Query. Write some more.  Then more.  Finally connect with an editor. Two books later, one sells.  Wait. Wait. Wait. Publication Day.  Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I think it's fabulous that now there are so many more options to publication.  It's an exciting time to write novels. 

My motto as an author has always been “When you can enter through the front door, kick in a window.”   

Unless you’re lucky enough to write a book in three months and land a multi-book, seven-figure contract three months later, you’ll need to get used to kicking in a lot of windows, regardless of how you decide to publish your masterpiece.  I kicked in so many windows along the way to publication that it’s a wonder I still have two feet. 

The most important thing I've learned?  Always wear cute boots. 

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It takes time no matter what the path!

Karen Walker said...

Alex is so right. And I'm not sure I have energy to kick in any doors. Sigh!
Karen

Journaling Woman said...

It's true. You can't give up but instead must do some kicking.

Teresa

Aidyl Ewoh said...

Nice, but if all possible, I like to be barefoot. =)
~Aidyl

Heather M. Gardner said...

Now those are some nice boots! Great post! I'm almost ready to start kicking again!

What do you think of Teen Wolf season 2 so far?
Heather

Alleged Author said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story!

MTeacress said...

Yes, cute boots come in handy when kicking in windows. ;)

Good luck to Elena!

LD Masterson said...

I'm all for not quitting but is it okay if I wear my tennies. Boots hurt my feet.

Talli Roland said...

Haha! Love how you ended this.

And you're so right. There's no easy path. You just need to keep going!

Jeremy Bates said...

Kicking in a window is a great idea but I prefer to let my pals carry me on my mat and go in through the roof. lol

Kimberly Gabriel said...

Stopping by from the blogfest...I love this post! I need a new pair of cute shoes....I'm reaching the point where I'm going to need to kick in several windows.... ;)

Elana Johnson said...

Oh my heck, I totally started crying at this line: "It's an exciting time to be writing novels."

I've been having such a hard time with my publishing path right now, and this line means so much to me. I need to remember it and take my own advice: never surrender!

DL Hammons said...

I like it! It may be a war, but there's no reason we can't look good while we wage battle! :)