Monday, June 4, 2012

I Second That Emotion

Last week, I had the chance to finally watch The Avengers at the movie theatre.  Then on Friday, as the temperatures creeped up to 112 degrees in Phoenix and we had zero interest in being outside, Craig and I watched all three DVRed episodes of the Hatfield and McCoys on the History Channel.  What a difference emotion makes.

I'll say right off the bat, I was mildly disappointed in The Avengers.  *runs and hides*

But hear me out.  Awesome special effects, sure.  Eye candy?  A thousand times, yes.  But where was the story?! Where were the emotional connections to the characters?  The movie did not pull me in and tug at my heartstrings like Captain America did, so I left the theatre feeling a little cheated.  And tired.  Full disclosure: we went to a 9 pm showing. 

Contrast that to the Hatfield and McCoys, the mini-series with Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton on the History Channel.  Oh. My. Gawd.  Awe. Some!  It was dark.  It was gritty.  Historical.  It was loaded with character development and emotion, not to mention lots of action.  The music was hauntingly beautiful.  Cute guys, especially the Owen Wilson look-a-like who played Johnse Hatfied.  Some romance.  *Sigh*  Needless to say, I absolutely loved it.  Side note:  Tom Berenger, whom I barely recognized, was also in the series.  He was incredibly colorful and wicked and, in my humble opinion, stole the show. 

A movie or a book with just action (or narrative) and no emotional connections never does it for me.  Balancing the right amount of character development/dialogue/plot is an art but when it's done right and achieves those emotional connections you know it.  You feel it.  It's a beautiful thing.

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I guess because I've seen all of the movies and read some of the comics, I thought there was connection with the characters in the Avengers. I thought it was great.
However, you are right about Hatfield and McCoys. That was one of the best mini series I have ever seen. Sad that bitterness could destroy so many lives.

Trisha said...

OHHHHH Hallelujah! I'm so glad to find others who didn't love THE AVENGERS to absolute bits. I was, quite frankly, underwhelmed. I did think there was a connection with many of the characters, but I think my problem is that I'm not really that into 'cheese', and this movie had cheese. Sure, it's a Marvel movie so bound to have cheese, but still...there were other movies in that range that I've liked better.

I haven't seen that miniseries, but it sounds fab!

Precy Larkins said...

Haven't seen Avengers yet. But I'm with you--I like stories/movies that can elicit an emotional reaction from me because I formed a connection with the characters. The movie that comes to mind really quickly is Transformers--lovely special effects and cool action stunts but no emotional connection with any of the characters. Maybe this is because I'm a woman? *shrugs* Though come to think of it, hubs wasn't enthralled with Transformers either. I took him to see Hunger Games even though he's never read the books (he doesn't read fiction. I know, right? I write fiction, and he doesn't read them. But it's all good. :D ) Hunger Games left him bewildered. In a good way. We had a long discussion about it afterwards. Score! :D

LTM said...

I have no interest in the Avengers. Seriously. None. But I read great reviews of that H&M show! Ahh... must try to find it. Thanks, Liz! Stay cool~ :o) <3

Gina Gao said...

I want to watch the Avengers so bad! I'm sorry you didn't like it.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

LD Masterson said...

I agree on both counts. For someone who didn't know all the Avenger characters going in, I think a lot of the connections between them, and in turn between myself and them, was lost. It was fun but that's about all. The H&M was outstanding.

Alleged Author said...

I definitely think they were banking on the fact that viewers would also have watched all the individual movies before "The Avengers." Kind of smart marketing-wise. Makes people go out and buy the movies to understand background if they haven't see them. But I totally get where you are coming from on this!

Angela Felsted said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I have noticed a marked difference between some of the older films that have fewer special effects and action, and the newer ones that are jam packed with cool effects.

I think a lot of the older movies HAD to have good acting, character development and the like because they couldn't rely on anything else to carry the film.

Robert Guthrie said...

Character... key to good writing. Character... key to life.

Danette said...

I'm trying to avoid the Avengers and so far so good. Fortunately my son (who loved it) is old enough that he can go to the movies without me! :D