Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hot Yoga. Hot Mess.

I finally did it.  I started hot yoga classes at a small studio near my home.  In a word: oy.

I had to buy myself a yoga mat and a cute little carrying case thingy to get myself motivated but now after several classes, I'm glad I finally went.  See pic to the left.  Side note: the piano holding up the mat doesn't get nearly as much action as it should.

I used to think I was in (fairly) good shape before hot yoga.  Now I'm not so sure.  The class is 90 minutes long and I think they keep the room heated at around 100 degrees.  Maybe hotter?  You begin sweating the millisecond you step your big toe into the room.  The series of poses and stretches that you do for the next 90 minutes don't seem that taxing but the next day?  I was sore in places that I never knew I had. 

The best part about my hot yoga class is that for 90 steaming hot minutes, I don't think about anything else except how easily I can access my water bottle.  It's a beautiful thing.

11 comments:

Trisha said...

I love yoga, but have never done hot yoga. I think I really want to! May as well get my sauna time in at the same time as stretching. hehe

raelynbarclay said...

Ugh...100 degrees. You're in AZ, just go outside, LOL.

I like yoga. Not sure I could handle hot yoga. Glad you're enjoying it!

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

I've thought about taking up yoga but to date, it still remains on the back burner. I think I need to get into better shape first (which I'm working on!).

LD Masterson said...

I keep toying with the idea to yoga but hot yoga? Don't think I could handle it.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Literally hot yoga? Wonder if I'm getting the same effect when I mow in similar temperatures?

Precy Larkins said...

I would have died if I was in that room (since, ya know, I carry my own heater everywhere). But I'm glad you're having fun! :)

Anne R. Allen said...

I'm like Precy--a walking furnace. I'd keel over in two seconds. Interesting that reducing your needs to one thing: water, kept you focused. I guess deprivation does simplify your thought processes.

Karen Walker said...

Oy! is right. With my hot flashes, I'd probably pass out.
Karen

Colette Martin said...

I love yoga, and go whenever I can, but hot yoga has never really appealed to me. Lately I am far more comfortable anywhere that isn't hot (or even warm). Glad you are enjoying it!

Rhonda Parrish said...

That does sound quite lovely :) I'm not very flexible and have a craptastic ankle. Those two things have combined to keep me away from yoga but I'm starting a new exercise program soon that ought to help with the flexibility at least, so maybe someday...

We'll see ;)

~ Rhonda Parrish

Danette said...

I don't think I could take hot yoga. I LOVE warm weather-- LOVE IT. But my idea in the heat is to sit and drink something cool and frosty, not try to get my downward dog a little further down. Glad you enjoyed it!! ;)