Friday, May 4, 2012

School's Out (Almost) For Summer!


Cue the Alice Cooper music!

What I would give to go back to just one of those lazy hazy summer days as a kid.  My summers went something like this: sleep, swimming at the public pool ALL DAY LONG, dinner, playing outside until the mosquitoes threatened to eat us alive.  And sometimes did.  It was very easy to gather the other neighborhood kids together for volleyball, basketball, ghost in the graveyard, whatev.  I don't remember spending much time inside the house.  In fact, I don't think plastering our feet into cement blocks could have kept my sister Mary and I from spending one minute inside.  We would have dug a way out.

I also remember the games we played on those days it rained.  We would take our games outside and play on the front porch steps.  Battleship was my favorite, along with checkers, chess, Monopoly, and Yahtzee. 

And then I remember counting down the days to be old enough to GET A SUMMER JOB.  So I could have my own money.  Ugh...what was I thinking?!

Alice Cooper, I still luv ya.



Remind me sometime to tell you the time that Alice Cooper asked my sister to dance when we were at a bar in Scottsdale (true story).  It's one of my (very few) brushes with fame.

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You met Alice Cooper? Now that is wild.

Karen Walker said...

Love this post, Liz. It brought back those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer. We used to play stick ball and punch ball (baseball without a bat) hop scotch, jacks. And I'd forgotten about never being inside.
Karen

raelynbarclay said...

Sounds like the summers from my childhood. The wee beasties are out and about too during the summer but nowhere near as much as I remember doing. Of course, I grow up in the Bay Area and they are growing up in the desert, LOL.

That is so cool you met Alice Cooper!

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

I still remember the last days of high school before summer when the teacher kept the door open and sunlight streamed into the room. Those days were nice.

MZienty said...

That brings back a lot of memories Liz. I still play yahtzee and battleships with my kids. I haven't thought about Alice in many, many years. He sort of creeped me out as I recall.

LD Masterson said...

You forgot catching fireflies after dark. I used to love doing that. But I always let them go.

Jemi Fraser said...

Summers were so much fun as a kid! Loved them - hide and seek in the neighbourhood was so great!

James Garcia Jr. said...

Hi, Liz. Yeah, my brother and I rarely stayed inside either. We were always playing a sport in the road or riding bikes. My 14 year old just recently figured out that hanging out with buddies outside is so much better than spending the entire day inside playing video games. I thought I'd never see the day!!

-Jimmy

Danette said...

I remember those summers. I did my chores in the morning so I could spend the rest of the day at the pool- always there when the gates opened.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the AC story! Cheers!