Friday, May 25, 2012

Movie Round-Up

Haven't done a movie round-up in a while.  With summer ahead (and triple-digit temps in my future), I thought it was wise to do one.  I usually catch-up on movies when it's hot enough to fry an egg on a sidewalk, which is possible on most Phoenix sidewalks this time of year.

Here are a few that Craig and I rented in the last couple of weekends.  Now, mind you, I'm a little behind on the latest releases.  Unless it's a blockbuster movie (e.g. Avengers) that begs for the big-screen and a giant box of popcorn, we usually rent or download and watch in the comfort of our home. 

There Be DragonsI must say, this movie surprised me.  And in a good way.  It was epic.  It was historical.  It took place during the Spanish Civil War and the 1970's.  It was about a journalist who was investigating the canonization of a Spanish priest and ended up discovering the connection that this priest had to his own father.  Verdict?  Craig and I both loved it, except for a few historical details that were incorrect for the 1970's. 

Young Adult. A movie about a semi-deranged young adult author who goes back to her hometown to rekindle a romance with her high school sweetheart?! I'm so in.  This movie was dark.  The characters felt real (mostly) and authentic.  Verdict?  I liked it.  Craig hated it.  Not his cuppa tea.  As a result, he got to choose the next movie, which was...

Contraband. Ugh. Where to begin? We had high expectations for this movie, for some unknown reason.  Maybe because of the great cast?  I've always been a Giovanni Ribisi fan, but this movie?  Not so much.  A band of mostly idiots grabs a ride on a tanker bound for Panama to steal some counterfeit money.  I think.  I was too busy getting up and folding loads of laundry.  Verdict? I did not like it, mostly because I didn't connect with the story or any of the characters.  Craig watched the entire movie and liked parts of it, especially the parts with Kate Beckinsale.  Needless to say, I get to choose the next movie rental.

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Not even Kate could save Contraband, huh? Bummer.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Kate Beckinsale is a terrible actress. I've hated every movie she has been in and will never watch another.

Danette said...

I have only heard of one of these films. I am so out of touch...

Liz Fichera said...

@Michael: I don't think Craig was too focused on Kate's acting. ;-)

Cold As Heaven said...

I would go for the other Kate. I mean Kate Winslet >;)

I've experienced three-digit temps twice (in Palm Springs and in the Utah desert), and didn't like it. Taking off all your clothes, and it's still way too hot, what can you do? You see, that's why I like life in the north >:)

Cold As Heaven

Robert Guthrie said...

Saw "Young Adult" on Christmas Day, aware that it would be dark. But not PRIMARILY dark with only the thinnest sliver of irony/comedy... We felt so mislead by the film industry and the trailer, that we sneaked into "The Artist." Much better.

Trisha said...

I haven't seen Contraband, but it sounds like the sort of movie I wouldn't like. I'm not really into those 'black humour' criminal comedies, I guess.