Friday, May 11, 2012

I'm Ready For My Close-Up, Mr. DeMille

The time has come.  My last author photos were taken two years ago.  Time for some new ones and I'm in a quandary.

Obviously I read a ton of books and I see a lot of author photos.  I think most author photos can be characterized in three ways:

1) The High School Yearbook-like pose--you know, the one that is a professionally done headshot.  Always looks very nice.

2) The Disinterested pose--usually in this one the author's profile is photographed, as if he/she isn't even aware that the photo is being taken.

3) The Goofy Get-up pose--this seems to be popular lately.  This is the one where the author poses in the garb that reflects the genre in which he/she writes--e.g. princess, pirate, zombie.  Clever and can get a chuckle.  I think.

So you see my dilemma.  I'm kind of a fan of black and white photos, in case you hadn't noticed.  But in case I can't make up my mind on The Pose, I'm going with the photo below. What do you think? Pretty classy, eh? ;-)

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like it! Not a fan of my own photo which is why mine is a profile shot.

SA Larsenッ said...

I'm with Alex! Represent YOU with whatever you want. It's about YOU, right? ;D

Angelina Rain said...

Hehe!

Personally, I'm not a fan of author photos. I like to imagine that the author looks just like the heroine on her cover, and sometimes an author photo takes away from that image.

Daisy Carter said...

If I saw this author photo in the back of a book, I'd buy it on principle. LOVE it! :)

Maggie McGee said...

I like a photo with the family pet or showing the represented engaged in some activity that tells more story about the author than a mug shot ever could.

LD Masterson said...

Perfect. Although I like the "with the family pet" idea, too. If you have a pet. And it's cute. But not too cute - you don't want it stealing the picture.
Or maybe you could just borrow a suitable pet. I wonder if someone rents them...

Danette said...

I think the sketch would be the most unique one ever! Go for it!

Trisha said...

Love it! I think you will start a real trend with that ;)