Monday, May 7, 2012

Eagle Kachina


A while back, my dad was in a golf tournament in Scottsdale at a local club.  He won first place.  It was pretty cool.  He also won an Eagle Kachina.  That was pretty cool too and it sat on a shelf in his library forever.  Now it sits in my office and I look at it every day and it reminds me of my Dad, among other things.

I remember when Dad first brought the Kachina home, it reminded me of that old Twilight Zone with Agnes Moorehead where she gets creeped out by something unseen and moving in her attic.  She climbs into the attic to investigate and this tiny creature starts to attack her with sharp toothpick-like knives.  We never get a clear picture of her attacker but somehow she wraps it in a burlap sack and throws it out of her house and tries to stop thinking about it.  While I never would do that to my Dad's Eagle Kachina, I must admit that it kind of creeped me out at first, kind of like that Twilight Zone episode.

Then I did some research.

According to Hopi Native Americans, Kachina dolls are objects meant to be treasured and studied and not considered idols of worship or children’s toys.  The Eagle Kachina, in particular, rules the sky and represents great power and strength.  Kachinas are really very beautiful and colorful, always exquisitely carved. 

I always knew that one day Kachinas would be incorporated into one of my stories.  They're just so cool! I'm working on a draft now as a matter of fact and Craig and I are going to take a road trip to northern Arizona this summer (when it hits 120 horribly hot degrees in the desert; the northern mountains will be a nice change) so I can continue my research.  I'd like to visit with Hopi artists and learn more than I can glean from books.  Suffice it to say that this particular novel that I'm working on will include Kachinas, a Hopi Native American teenage girl, an unorthodox family, a bit of mystery and some kissing.  It will be a young adult novel, after all. :)

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I had one of those as a kid when we lived in Arizona. No idea what happened to it though.

Talli Roland said...

I've never heard of Kachinas! Love learning interesting tidbits like this.

LTM said...

Very cool! I'd never heard of Kachinas either, but I think it's very cool that you have something that reminds you of your dad. ((hugs)) Bet the book'll be cool~ <3

LD Masterson said...

The Kachinas are lovely, as is the fact that you have one from your Dad. But you're messing with my memories here. In the Twilight episode with Agnes Morehead and the creatures in the attic, didn't it turn out in the last scene that they were tiny humans in a NASA spaceship, frantically signaling Earth not to send any more ships there because the planet was inhabited by giants. Or am I mixing episodes?

raelynbarclay said...

I love Kachinas, how cool you have one that was your dad's, I didn't know all the history though. I think it's great you're drafting a story with them :) Can't wait to hear about your research trip!

Tracy Jo said...

So cool! I love it when something like that pops in your life or you start to look at something with new eyes and get a rush of inspiration. Awesome.

Jemi Fraser said...

I've never heard of Kachinas before - very cool! They'll make great elements in your story! :)