Friday, April 13, 2012

Long Island Medium

I blame my sister Mary for this.  She got me hooked on another reality show--well, two to be exact.  After weaning myself off The Housewives of Beverly Hills and The Housewives of the OC, two trainwrecks of epic proportions, Mary got me hooked on Long Island Medium and I Survived Beyond and Back, the latter being on the Biography channel and very cool so I'm not sure if it counts as a reality show as no one throws temper tantrums or red wine on each other.

Having experienced so much life and death this year, I was naturally drawn to Long Island Medium, which is a show involving a perky Long Island mom who claims to "talk to dead people."  I don't care for all of the extra detail about her life and kids but, I have to admit, the readings she does for people who've lost loved ones is kind of interesting.  There's always that thing in the back of your mind that teases, "What if?"   If you can stand all of the personal, extra banter involving her husband, kids, and dog, the show is kind of intriguing.

More intriguing than the Long Island Medium, though, is I Survived Beyond and Back.   These are people who died.  Yes, died.  Like for a couple of seconds to more than a handful of minutes.  And returned to tell about it.  The fascinating thing is that there are consistencies in almost every story.  My mother had a near-death experience when I was a little girl and I remember her story so I've always been intrigued by this. 

Kind of makes you wonder.

6 comments:

Trisha said...

It does, but then they could have chosen only people who had similar stories, to try and make a point ;)

I'm a big skeptic so probably not the best person to talk to this about, but I too get sucked into such shows when I do have TV - right now I'm TVless!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't have to wonder because I already believe.

cherie said...

Funny you should get hooked to Long Island Medium at around the same time I started watching it (yeah, I got hooked, too. Watch 3 episodes in one sitting. Would have watched more but the kiddo came home from school, and I wasn't in the mood for the curious questions.:D )

I haven't seen I Survived Beyond and Back, but I did watch one show called "I Survived" and it was about real people who found themselves in life-and-death situations. Pretty gruesome. Like this one girl and her friend who picked up a hitchhiker who was a total psycho killer--he killed the friend, raped the girl, and left her for dead in a river. But she survived and lived to tell the tale. (Lesson: Never pick up hitchhikers, ever.)

Liz Fichera said...

@Cherie: I am too much of a chicken to watch the "I Survived" show. The promos scare me!

Sharkbytes said...

No cable here, so I don't even know those shows. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month. My A-Zs are at myqualityday.blogspot.com

Tara Tyler said...

doo doo doo doo
i'm a doubter. but it is interesting!