Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Dadisms

Lately I've been remembering all the funny and helpful Dadisms my Dad said over the years, back when it seemed like we had all the time in the world and the Dadisms would never stop. 

When my sister and her family visited last week, my 15-year old niece hinted at driving my car, now that she has her learner's permit.  Naturally, my heart thudded against my ribcage at the mere thought of my beautiful niece behind any wheel, much less mine.  But before I could think of anything Cool Auntish and normal to say, I said, "You know, Olivia, it's not you I'm worried about.  It's everyone else."  Which was code for: Forgetaboutit. 

My sister Mary looked at me.  I looked at Mary.  Gawd. That is something my Dad said to us no less than a million times throughout our lives.  Like the time I was a sophomore and wanted to see the Queen concert and just about any time I wanted to stay out past my curfew.  Mary and I busted up laughing at how the apples never really fall far from the trees, you know?

I so miss my Dad.  And all of his Dadisms.  What I'd give for one more.

14 comments:

Colette Martin said...

What a touching story. You'll keep hearing the Dadisms. They are part of you.

raelynbarclay said...

Dadisms are awesome! Beautiful story Liz.

Karen Walker said...

Oh, Liz. Treasure those dadaists. I wasn't so fortunate. My dadisms were nasty comments.
Karen

Michael Di Gesu said...

I'm with Karen. Treasure them. Sounds like such a special relationship.

I have a few, but only a few.

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Aww, so touching. You should write down some of those dadisms and keep a record of them. :D

Happy Hump Day!
My D

Kittie Howard said...

A beautiful story. I still hear my Dadisms, a really good thing. (What happened to your C post? I posted D this a.m., checked back later for some odd reason and it was gone, poof! Had to post again. Oh, Blogger, Blogger!)

Murees Dupé said...

At least you have all those great memories. But Dadisms are really great.

Heather M. Gardner said...

No greater honor than passing them on to the next generation.
And thanks for sharing with us too!
Heather

Liz Fichera said...

@Kittie: I didn't do a "C" post. *Hides in shame*

Danette said...

Amazing how those sayings live in the back of our brains. We think we've forgotten them and then one day we are saying them!

Jean Davis said...

Gotta love your Dadisms. I have a host of Grandmaisms, momisms and various other relatives. It's rather cathartic when the family gets together and those isms leak out from all of us.

Tracy Jo said...

Oh Liz. I love this. I am super tight with my Dad too...talk to him literally every day. After following your story, I am scared for when I will face the same thing. This is comforting knowing that no matter what...we carry them on in our hearts forever. Hugs.

James Garcia Jr. said...

Very sweet, Liz. Thanks for sharing that moment with us.

-Jimmy

Sarah Pearson said...

When you least expect it, for the rest of your life, you'll open your mouth and your Dad's words will come out. He's always going to be with you.