Friday, March 16, 2012

Word Speak

Whenever I'm feeling angsty or sad, for some reason I always turn to poetry to get myself back on track.  This poem spoke to me this week:

Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

--Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man

Not sure why this poem spoke to me.  It just did, hitting all the right emotional buttons. 

Nothing is better when words speak to your soul.  Poetry has a way of doing that.  Deep thought: Maybe because less is more?

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like less is more.

Tracy Jo said...

Beautiful. I think your deep thought is right on. Have a great weekend!

Karen Walker said...

I think it's because poets speak from their hearts.
Karen

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

The best poetry is like the bare bones of a tree with neither leaves nor flowers. Just stark honest truth. Without the extraneous, it's easier to see and relate to that truth. Yeah. Less is more. (I talk too much.)

raelynbarclay said...

Both...less is more but it's also how poems invoke deep thought. Thanks for sharing Liz.

Danette said...

Poetry is a condensation of emotion if it's done right. So it speaks to your soul in a unique way. My favorite author does it in her prose as well.

James Garcia Jr. said...

Hi, Liz. You're probably right about less being more. Being a Cubs fan, Hope always springs eternal...
Have a great week, my friend.

-Jimmy

Peggy Eddleman said...

I love when words can speak to you this way! It's such an incredible thing.