Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I Went. I Saw. I Conquered.

My sister and I took my tween nephew to see The Hunger Games.  My teenage niece, interestingly, was not interested in seeing it at all.  My nephew devoured the books like I did, even liking (and disliking) parts of the series like me.  We went to a matinee and there were probably only 20 people in the audience.  Perfect for a claustrophob me.  The movie, by the way, was way LONG.  Two bags of popcorn and a box of milkduds were inhaled consumed.

Regarding the movie, I thought it stayed pretty true to the book, although the Gale and Peeta inside my head were not like the actors in the movie.  That said, I thought all of the actors did a really fine job bringing the characters to life.  Katniss, in particular, was pretty close to perfect.  Oh, how I love strong and imperfect heroines (and heroes)!

The best part of the movie for me was when the story moved into the actual Hunger Games.  Pretty intense.  Great visual effects, like with the genetically-engineered bees/wasps thingys.  I don't recall the weird, carnival-like feel of The Capitol in the book, with all of the citizens in Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory-like costumes and get-ups, but it's been a while since I've read the book too.  Even so, the contrast of the elite-like people living in blissful ignorance in The Capitol versus the poor schmucks surviving in the Districts with no rights and living on meager government handouts was perfect. 

Missing from the movie?  Music.  The movie lacked Big Music--the kind that gets your blood pumping and your heart welling with unbridled emotion.  It needed something larger than life.  It definitely needed more music.

All in all, I'm looking forward to the next movie installment!

6 comments:

raelynbarclay said...

It's on the agenda for this weekend. Oldest has been itching to see it since the first previews. Glad to hear it stayed pretty true to the book.

Tracy Jo said...

I need to go check it out. I haven't read the books but going to go anyway. Too bad about the music because I would have thought it would be larger than life. Mmmm....popcorn.

:-)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You're not the first to say the music was lacking. I'll hit this one sometime in the next week or so, when the crowds have thinned.

Carol Riggs said...

Thanks for the review!! I'm soooo anxious to see this movie. Sniff. That's great that they did well with the visual effects during the Games themselves. Cool!

Danette said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I've heard not great things about it, but I'm not a Hunger Games fan anyway so I wasn't planning on seeing.

Daisy Carter said...

Excellent post! I hadn't realized big music was missing, but now that you mention it...LOVED the movie, though.

I'm doing the A-Z challenge, and you and I are both on Team Tina! Thought I'd pop by and say hello. *waves*