Monday, February 13, 2012

Letters from Dad

One of the things I did while my Dad was in hospice last month was to read all of the letters he'd sent me over the years.  I keep them in a little blue box.  I was so glad that I'd kept all of the letters and, really, there was no way I'd ever have thrown out a single one anyway.  It was such a treat to relive his words in his letters, the thoughts, the sentiments.  The last one he sent to me was in November and he included a little poem he'd found in a magazine.  It was a cute poem about daughters.  He sent the poem to my sister Mary too.  Said it reminded him of us. 

My Dad was such a special guy that way.  He was always so thoughtful and kind.  Definitely a glass-is-half-full who could love you at your worst and your best.  Sometimes it was easier for him to express himself through his written words than his spoken ones and yet other times he could say the words that you most needed to hear. 

I still hear his voice in my head.  And I miss him.

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm sorry, Liz. Treasure those letters.

Colette Martin said...

Liz, you are so lucky to have that box of very special letters. What a great way to remember your father.

Angelina Rain said...

*Hugs* I hope you're doing okay, or as okay as could be expected. I'm happy to hear that you kept those letters, it is a way for you to stay close to him when he's already gone. Treasure those letters.

Talli Roland said...

How wonderful that you still have all those letters. Hugs, Liz.

Sarah Pearson said...

What a lovely gift you've saved. Take care of you.

Jean Davis said...

What a special box of letters. You'll always have his words.

raelynbarclay said...

Aww, Liz. Love that you have those letters. I have a similar box of letters from my grandfather. So precious. {hugs}

Murees Dupé said...

I am sorry. Enjoy those letters and I wish you all the best.

Tracy Jo said...

Awesome that you have those letters and that you thought to read them to him. I bet it gave him such comfort. Your post made me tear up. Hugs to you.

Jeremy Bates said...

wonderful..

Jeigh said...

So sorry about your dad. I'm glad you have the letters to treasure.

Danette said...

The contours of a face held in letters. Your letters are so much more than words aren't they? Makes me reflect on the fact that so few of us write letters anymore... what will we leave behind for our children? Emails and texts just don't quite do it do they?

Alleged Author said...

I'm s sorry. So glad you still have his letters.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Not many people have a treasure box packed with happy memories. I know you don't need those letters to keep him in your heart, but being able to read his words in his handwriting will bring you comfort.

Amy Jarecki said...

Hi Liz - I am so sorry. This may not be the best time, but I tagged you in a blog hop if you're up to it.

God bless.

Amy

Deniz Bevan said...

Aww, Liz, how lovely that you kept the letters. And how wonderful that he wrote you so many over the years!