Tuesday, January 17, 2012

One More Time

Sunday night, the call came from the Rehabilitation Facility where my dad had been recovering since his stroke on December 27.   "Your dad's been rushed to the hospital.  It doesn't look good.  Come quickly."  That's the kind of phone call that brings you to your knees and it did me.

All throughout the agonizingly long car ride across Phoenix to the hospital, I kept thinking how I wanted one more moment with my dad, one more time to tell him what a great father he'd been, one more chance to tell him how much I loved him.  Fortunately I got my chance but it got me thinking about how there will never be enough moments and seconds when it comes to my Dad.  I'll always want one more.

Dad is still hanging on but for how much longer we don't know.  There are so many unknowns.  Trooper that he is, we fix one medical issue but find another.  For now I'm cherishing every moment that I can hold his hand and tell him how much I love him.

I've received so many kind emails and messages.  Thank you.  Thank you for thinking of my dad.

15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Spend all the time you need with him, Liz. Treasure those moments.
Praying for you and your family as you go through this really rough time. Saying goodbye to a parent or even just watching them fade is really crappy, no matter who you are.

Tara said...

Hang in there.. :(

Danette said...

So right- there won't ever be enough time and I am so glad you are cherishing these moments! Keeping you and your family in my thoughts!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Sending you lots of hugs Liz...

I hope you get to spend many more special moments with him.

I lost both my parents at a young age and I would give anything to spend a few more precious moments with them.

Special prayers for you and your family.

Joanne said...

Sending peace and good thoughts your way in this difficult time ...

Sarah Pearson said...

Hugs to you, Liz

Karen Walker said...

Oh, Liz, I am so so sorry. Amen to what alex said. Just treasure those moments.
Karen

Tracy Jo said...

My heart aches for you. I am way close to my Dad too and just can't imagine. Sending you prayers and a huge hug.

LD Masterson said...

Let him know you will feel his love every day of your life. You will.

Praying for you and your family.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

There's no feeling more helpless than watching a parent slip away, and no dread greater than hearing the telephone ring in the middle of the night. My heart goes out to you. Hang in there, and cherish every moment.

raelynbarclay said...

{{hugs}} Liz. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts. Take all the time you need and cherish it.

Ann Best said...

YES. Spend as much time with him as you can. Such a difficult time for all of you. I'm sending a prayer your way.
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror & Other Memoirs

Kathleen Doyle said...

I cannot imagine what your family is going through. You and your dad are in my thoughts.

James Garcia Jr. said...

I knew I hadn't been by in a while, Liz. Now I feel terrible. So sorry to hear this news. Alex is right. I will add my prayers as well.

-Jimmy

Angie Ledbetter said...

I still miss my mom every day. Sending hugs and prayers and strength to you. xo