Friday, January 13, 2012

Jumble

I'm having a hard time writing complete and coherent sentences so I thought I'd describe the last few weeks with mere words: Nightmare, hospitals, strokes, Medicare, Supplements, therapy, more therapy, assisted living, wheelchairs, Alzheimer's, life, home, memories, happy, sad, tears, more tears, vulnerable, fragile, love, frustration, family.  I've seen the best and worst of just about everything since Dad's stroke on December 27.

My parents are stable at the moment and for that I am grateful.  My family has experienced every major life decision and raw emotion these law few weeks.  You reach a point when you become the parent and your parents become the kids and that is humbling and scary.  You think you are prepared for the curve balls but when all is said and done you are not.  The important thing is that everyone is together and we are cherishing each moment.  My dad continues to be the greatest guy I've ever known.  Through it all, despite all the challenges, he remains strong and is even starting to laugh a little again.  He is an inspiration to me.

Once again, thanks to all of you who have reached out to me since Dad's stroke.  I appreciate it.

xoxo

15 comments:

DEZMOND said...

I feel for you, Liz, I have the very same problem, my mother was also hospitalized earlier this winter and is now three months in bed, pretty much unable to move. For some reason bad things often happen around holidays :(

Sarah said...

Wow, Liz, I've been so out of the blogosphere that I only just saw this. ((hugs)) It sounds like you're being a wonderful support to your parents, and even though it's draining and hurts your heart, you're seeing the positive parts of it.

Colette Martin said...

Liz, I somehow missed that this was happening. I can only imagine how hard it must be. Make sure to take care of yourself as you care for your parents.

Joanne said...

I'm glad you're all together, and your Dad is laughing a bit. Hopefully each day will improve a little bit more and more ...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just keep hanging in there - praying for your family!

LD Masterson said...

I've gone through this with both sets of parents. It's very hard. I'll keep you in my prayers.

raelynbarclay said...

{{hugs}} I'm so glad your family is together, supporting each other, through this. Continuing to send positive thoughts your way.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I've been through all of these same things with my parents before they died, so my heart goes out to you. I know first-hand how very very difficult it is. All I can say is keep on keeping on. You're stronger than you think you are.

Amy Jarecki said...

Man, that brought a tear to my eye just reading it. I'm sorry, Liz. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Tracy Jo said...

Liz, I can't imagine and I am continuing to send you prayers. It is good that you have a strong family bond and that you are all together. Glad to hear your Dad is smiling. :-)

KarenG said...

This brings back our family's situation last year at this time. I understand all these feelings. Praying for you and your family, my dear.

Danette said...

Glad to hear things are going a bit better and that your parents are stable. I am sure you light up your dad's face when he sees you. Take care!

Sarah Pearson said...

No words of wisdom, except that I'm thinking of you and your family.

Trisha said...

Such tough times for your family. I always find it amazing though, what we humans can endure and still go on. I'm glad to hear your dad has been smiling a bit.

You and yours are in my thoughts!

Lori Beth said...

So sorry you're going through all of this, Liz! I hate it that I just now noticed. Hugs and healing thoughts coming your way!