Friday, December 9, 2011

To Wear or Not Wear Christmas Sweaters

You may or may not remember The Carol Burnett Show.  I think in many areas, stations still air reruns.  The reruns may even run internationally, though I'm not sure.  Next to Seinfeld, I think it was one of the funniest TV shows in the History of Ever. 

But I believe it's The Carol Burnett Show (and then, Mama's Family), where I got my aversion to Christmas sweaters.  Every Christmas, they would do these absolutely hilarious skits about dysfunctional families around the Christmas tree, ripping open presents, screaming at each other over minor things, over-indulging.  Carol and clan always wore these over-the-top Christmas sweaters, ornament earrings, Christmas pins--you name it.  It was one big green and red gaudy fest.

I know that some people really get into the whole Christmas sweater thing, but I can't.  Not without replaying a Carol Burnett episode in my head.  A few years ago, when my niece was younger, she wanted my sister, me, and her to wear matching Christmas sweaters.  To her credit, they were purple and not red and green.  Fortunately she's a teenager now and would probably rather jam toothpicks beneath her fingernails than dress like her Aunt and mother. 

Do you have a fave Christmas sweater? Love 'em or not?

20 comments:

Colette Martin said...

No Christmas sweaters for me -- but if someone else wants to wear them that's fine by me.

DEZMOND said...

ah, I don't have a Christmas sweater, although I wouldn't mind having a crazy one with reindeer and elves :)
Last time I went to a Christmas party (which we don't have here) I wore moss green Benetton sweater with a matching woolen scarf which happens to match my eyes too he he :))

Joanne said...

I vote no. Carol Burnett had such a knack for certain truths, didn't she. You can't help but laugh watching her :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Christmas sweater? Not a chance! I don't even like sweaters.

Karen Walker said...

Nope, never had a Christmas sweater, don't want a Christmas sweater. Carol Burnett was hilarious, wasn't she?
Karen

Tara Tyler said...

you had me at carol burnett!

i cant wear heavy sweaters anyway, i've always been hot blooded. but my hub got a wild hair one year and asked for a reindeer sweater. you know i couldnt find one for him! it was the most xmasy thing he'd ever wanted to do, too!

LD Masterson said...

I have a couple Christmas sweatshirts I like but no sweaters and no "matching" anything. (I also like wearing holiday socks - I have them for almost every holiday.)

And I think the Carol Burnett Show was a classic that will never be topped.

raelynbarclay said...

I've never had a sweater with a design knitted into it -- thank the universe -- but for a number of years I had a red cable knit sweater I loved. Never done the matching thing either :)

Oh, and the Carol Burnett Show was classic! I'll watch that over Seinfeld any day.

Michael Offutt, Expert Critic said...

We have an ugly Christmas sweater contest at work on Monday. IT shall be interesting.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Nope, but I'm a fan of a couple of my husband's Christmas sweatshirts. One has the body of Santa on it, and the other, the body of Grinch. Just stick you head in, and you're ready to go.

Tracy Jo said...

No Christmas sweaters for me BUT I am loving how tons a people are throwing Christmas sweater parties. What a kick! I loved CB.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Liz,
I cam over from Alex'blog where you left a comment. I also noticed your visit to my blog.

I must say I do not have any Christmas sweater and I don't need one.

Cold As Heaven said...

I don't have a Christmas sweater, but I have a 20 yo Christmas tie (with Santa Claus on it) that I wear every Christmas eve. It's the only occation I wear a tie >:)

Sarah Pearson said...

I respect everyone's right to wear Christmas sweaters, as long as they respect my right to hate them :-)

L'Aussie said...

Hello Liz. We have Christmas tee shirts in Oz. NO need for sweaters in a heatwave! I'd think they would be cute though!

Denise

Danette said...

I have a totally understated Christmas jacket I wear at Christmas time. It's off-white with snowflakes but the whole red/green thing? Nah!

I LOVED and love Carol Burnett! That and I Love Lucy are classic TV.

James Garcia Jr said...

No Christmas sweaters for me, either. In fact, I rarely wear sweaters at all. On the other hand, I will definitely take a place with you guys on the couch and watch The Carol Burnette Show. Great stuff! My sons and I have looked up some of their bloopers on You Tube. Hilarious!

-Jimmy

Trisha said...

I always think of the Bridget Jones Christmas sweaters, or as we call them in Aus, jumpers. hehe

Liz Fichera said...

The Carol Burnett Show was a staple in my house, growing up. The fam watched it every Saturday night without fail. It still makes me laugh!

Jean Davis said...

I looooved the Carol Burnett show! However, I do not love Christmas Sweaters. Some of my extended family have the tradition of wearing christmas socks each year. Not that I do that either, but if I had to pick, I'd go that route. :)