Friday, December 16, 2011

Stranger Than Fiction

Lately, I've observed two very strange things as I've chipped away at my TBR reading pile: (1) An unusual amount of books with "Daisy" as the main character's name; and (2) Lots of Young Adult stories written in third-person.

Has the name Daisy come back in vogue?  The last three out of seven books I've read had Daisy as a main character.  And I read a lot--usually 2-5 books a week, depending.

Regarding third-person, I'm not a huge fan.  For YA, I prefer first-person because I'm an emotional reader (and writer).  That's just my style.  I have to feel something.  I want to get inside the head of the main character.  I want a story to make me cry, laugh, throw things across the room.  I want to feel butterflies in my stomach.  Teenagers exist on emotion alone.  And third-person is just too arms-length for me, although I've ready plenty of books written in third-person that I've enjoyed too.  It's just a different feel but it does give the writer the advantage of telling more than one point of view. 

Any weird trends in anything you've read or watched lately?

13 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

Never noticed a single Daisy. Third person can be fun when you make the character a nut that only talks in the third person..haha

Joanne said...

It's interesting how names go in and out of vogue. I haven't seen Daisy around, but sometimes when a name takes hold, suddenly it's everywhere.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I don't believe I've seen a Daisy in a book since "The Great Gatsby." (Obviously, we're not reading the same books, eh?) As for trends, a number of the books I've read recently have gone a little overboard with re-hashing info that's already been provided. A little bit of that goes a very long way for me.

For fun, I just read a very early book of one of my favorite writers. Boy, has she ever gotten better with time! That earlier book was so full of adverbs and adjectives, I about gagged on them.

Trisha said...

Nope, I haven't noticed any Daisys. But then I don't confine myself to just YA, and I haven't bought any new books in a while (with maybe one or two exceptions. hehe)

I haven't actually been reading that much in the last month or so. But when I do, I don't read with consistency, i.e. any particular genre, target audience, etc.

Tara Tyler said...

looks like it's just you, but it is a weird trend!

my ya books have all been dystopian lately. hmmm, just me?

Steph Schmidt said...

I read a lot of fantasy in addition to YA as a teen. Now that I think about it the reason I fell so hard for the YA books was because they were always in first person unlike the fantasy books. Haven't seen Daisy then again I'm woefully behind on what's new and out.

LD Masterson said...

Haven't seen any Daisy's. I must be reading the wrong books. But I totally agree with using first person for YA. I think it gives young readers a better connection.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

As long as Daisy Mae's shorts come back with the name, I'm all right with it.

DEZMOND said...

I know a number of young parents who have Daisies as their daughters :)
It's a charming and cute name.

Tracy Jo said...

Giggling about Alex's comment. :-) I have a friends that just named their daughter Daisy...must be the "in" thing these days. Have a great weekend!

Marianne Arkins said...

So funny ... one of the reasons I DON'T read YA much is that I hate first person. So hearing that many are in third person makes me want to grab a book and start reading.

Just goes to show you can't please everyone!

Sarah Pearson said...

I wanted to call my daughter Daisy fifteen years ago and got shouted down, so I hope you're right. I love it :-)

LTM said...

Yuck. Really? Crap. I had Daisy briefly as a possible name for one of my subcharacters in the MS I just finished. No particular reason, it just sounded old-fashioned to me, and it's a historical book. So basically, I pulled it out of the hat. Hmmm... now rethinking. :D