Monday, November 14, 2011

Book Recommendation: KOICTO by Amy Jarecki

It's not often that you find page-turning, well-researched Native American historical fiction.  But you'll find that and more in Koicto, Amy Jarecki's debut.  Once I started reading this book, I was unable to put it down.  Set in 885 AD in what we now know as the Great Basin of Western Utah, it's the story of Koicto and his amazing adventure from boy to chief of the Nahchee.  As I said in my Goodreads review, I was unable to put it down.  The story had me by the neck.  Although it's not specifically stated, I think this is a book that even tweens and teens would love.  I know my nephew will love it and I now also know what I'll be sending him for Christmas.

I should also point out that this book has already won a couple of awards: The League of Utah Writers Award for Best Manuscript (2011) and the St. George Book Festival's Spark Book Award (2011).

Amy Jarecki is definitely someone you want to follow.  She's even giving away a copy of her debut this week.  You can check her blog for the deets. 

I look forward to reading more from her.  Now, please! :-)

14 comments:

Joanne said...

Koicto's journey seems like a fascinating one to follow. Congrats to Amy on her debut!

raelynbarclay said...

This sounds fascinating Liz! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely be checking out the author and the book :)

Karen Walker said...

Wow, what an endorsement. Will definitely check this out as I am very interested in Native American history and culture.
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That book is new to me!

LTM said...

hmm... super interesting! My 65 yr old dad loves westerns, but he's not really into language, etc. So he doesn't read new stuff much. Think he'd like this? Or is it too young?

Thanks, Liz! :o)

Amy Jarecki said...

Liz - Thank you so much for your glowing support!

LTM - one of the judges in the St. George Book Festival was a gentleman in his seventies. He singled me out an raved about it, so it just might be something your dad would enjoy.

Amy

Liz Fichera said...

I think the beauty of this book is that people of all ages can love it. My nephew is a voracious reader and loves adventures. I have no problem recommending it to him either.

Talli Roland said...

Wow, that certainly looks like an interesting read. Thanks, Liz!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds great!

LD Masterson said...

Hadn't heard of that one and I'm always looking for good reads for my tween grandkids. Thanks.

Danette said...

That book sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out, my son might enjoy it.

Tracy Jo said...

Thanks for the recommendation Liz. I added to my wish list on Amazon. Congrats to Amy!

Alleged Author said...

Sounds very interesting. Thank you so much!

Glynis said...

I have not read many books like the one you describe, Liz. You have certainly sold it well. I will checking it out. Thanks for the recommendation.