Monday, October 24, 2011

Talking 'Bout My Generation

One of the cool things I get to do when I visit my sister is to hang with my niece and nephew.  It's been so fun watching them go from babies to teenagers but, please, could somebody slow down the hands of time? Pretty please? 
Saturday night my niece had a Halloween Party and invited a bunch of her girlfriends.

What. A. Riot! 

Of course, I didn't hang around for much of the festivities because they are teenagers and I certainly wasn't about to cramp my niece's style.  But I did get a chance to observe them a little bit in action.  It made me realize how the more things change, the more things stay the same.  I know. Profound. :)

Unlike parties in my day (which, admittedly, wasn't exactly that long ago), teenagers today are glued to their cell phones like they're some kind of life force or something.  No doubt the moment the party ended, photos went up on Facebook faster than you could say Taylor Lautner.  In fact, I'm sure there were enough tweets and texts manufactured during the party that, measured in inches, could reach the Space Station.

But here's where things are noticeably similar to the days when my sister and I had our high school parties:

1)  Teenage girls still speak without punctuation.  Speech at fifteen is really just a stream of random words strung together at lightening speed.

2)  Like is still quite popular.  It makes its way into every other sentence.

3)  Teenage girls are still silly.  They laugh at anything.  In fact, a lot of times they laugh at nothing.  That's one of the beautiful things, I think, about being a teenager.

4)  Boys still seem to be a popular topic.

5) Younger brothers still like to crash their older sisters' parties.  Bravo, Andrew! My nephew raided his sister's party, wearing a glow-in-the-dark monster mask, after army-crawling across the yard to reach them.  I'm pretty sure you could hear the girls' screams in the next town.  My sister and I are still laughing about it. 

Priceless.

22 comments:

DEZMOND said...

he he teens are funny ... and sometimes a bit annoying ... I was a teacher once ... not any more :)

Trisha said...

That's a fabulous research opportunity for any YA writer out there. hehehe. Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Heather M. Gardner said...

What a great memory for you to have now and to share with us! I love hanging out with my teen niece and nephew (also an Andrew). They are like a breath of fresh air when my world sucks the big one. They still have optimism and look forward to each day. They can't wait to be with their friends and I can never make time for mine.
HMG

Angelina Rain said...

LOL. I don't think teens will ever change. And boys has probably been the topic in teen parties since the first ever teen party.

Glad to hear you had fun with your family.

raelynbarclay said...

Thanks for sharing that. Such a great memory :)

vanyelmoon said...

The sad thing is, I find I am as glued to my cell as a teenager and I am 35. I have to turn off the phone when I go out with my hubby or I will drive him crazy.
I remember when you had to be home to get a phone call and how we all used to be able to live "unconnected." Amazingly we were able to survive. ;)

Joanne said...

That's what friends are all about, that ease and casualness making up a good time together. I guess friendships are pretty timeless!

Tracy Jo said...

Aaaaah. How fun! That just brought back fond memories and I so LOVE to giggle. Oh and it wouldn't be a party without a little scare and screams. Great job Andrew!

Sarah Pearson said...

Oh so true! My teens had a dvd for their birthday, and I watched one of the boys beating my daughter with cushions, tugging her hair and poking her all day. I think he likes her :-)

Sarah Pearson said...

*dvd watching day. My comment now makes sense :-)

LD Masterson said...

I have to go a lot farther back to remember girl parties but it's so much fun watching my grandsons do many of the same thing my sons did at their age. Glad you had a good time.

Karen Walker said...

You are so right, Liz. Priceless. I have a teenage friend. She's 15. And what you describe here is right on the money.
Karen

Steph Schmidt said...

Kudos to Andrew for investing all that effort into army crawling. I hope the cellphone glue becomes the next habit that is finally labeled rude like talking on a cellphone in a restaurant. Trying to talk to someone whose busy texting as they "listen" grates on my nerves.

Janet Johnson said...

Like, I love the monster mask! ;) Fun post.

LTM said...

LOL! Omg, I can only imagine you having a BLAST eavesdropping on that one. I always love being the designated driver whenever my girls and friends do stuff. So enlightening!

Yep, so much stays the same... except! That technology thing. I swear, even older teens-20-somethings are just glued to their phones. It's crazy! I guess we'll have to adjust... :D <3

Danette said...

Girls never really change. They are just... The girls today are just girls like us with different style hair and clothes. Although I do think that they've seen more on television than I ever did so they have less naivete *sigh*. Sad.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Teens are attached to their cell phones. Without them, they wither and die.
Which could be fun to watch as well...

Alleged Author said...

I agree teens are totally attached to cell phones! They use them instead of talking. Kind of funny. :P

Michael Di Gesu said...

I am so jealous. No teens around me these days. I really love their energy and sparkling eyes.

Talking fast is like a adrenaline to me and surprisingly I seem to manage to keep up... at least for a while anyway. lol.

Draven Ames said...

You learned a lot in your short time. Thanks for reporting back. I hang out with my kids all the time and should come up with a list for teenage boys. Though my boys are stuck with us in the living room all the time, cramping their style. At what point did we become uncool?

Carol Riggs said...

Haha, that's great!! Thanks for the fun peek into a teen party. ;o)

Margo Kelly said...

I love teenagers ... well ... most days. I have a 15 year old daughter, and two 17 year old sons.