Monday, October 10, 2011

Mind-Meld

A lot of you know that last May, I sold my first young adult novel to Harlequin Teen in a two-book deal.  Since June, I've been writing Book #2 that's part of that two-book deal which I'm tentatively calling Played.  It takes up where Hooked (Book #1) left off.  Why am I sharing this?

Well, for starters, Played is all I think about these days--when I'm vacuuming my house, shopping for groceries, driving to...well, I forget sometimes where I'm driving because I can't get my brain to stop thinking about Played and where I want the plot to go.  Just last week I missed my exit on my way to meet my brother for lunch because I was writing a chapter in my head.  Played is also the reason why my blogging has been, and will probably be, sporadic the next couple of months.  I'm about 75% done with my first draft and we all know that's the easy part.  It's the editing that follows that will keep me up at nights.  Knowing me, I will probably rewrite Played at least two times before I'm satisfied. 

Hooked is now on Goodreads (Shameless Not-So-Subliminal message: Please add it to your TBR!! :) Please! With sugar on top!) for those of you that like young adult contemporary novels.  I'm hoping for a book cover to share in the not too distant future.  I think Harlequin Teen has some of the prettiest and most intriguing covers out there (The Iron King, The Juliet Spell, Dancergirl, The Goddess Test) to name just a few that I think rock the house) so I'm beyond excited to see what they have in store for Hooked.

Playtime over. Back to writing!

19 comments:

JB Lynn said...

Great, now all day I'm going to go around chanting, "My mind to your mind...my thoughts to your thoughts".

Congrats on getting thru 75% of your draft!

(I miss exits ALL THE TIME when I'm "writing" while driving, lol)

Angelina Rain said...

Woo Hoo, congrats! I'm very happy for you. You know when the book comes out I'll be snagging a copy.

Heather M. Gardner said...

I love this kind of news! Good for you! More SUGAR CHIPPERS...STAT!

Joanne said...

Congrats, you're in a very exciting place ... Happy writing to you :)

Talli Roland said...

Headed over to add it! And I hear you on the editing. Writing the first draft is easy - the editing does my head in!

cherie said...

Woohoo!

Good luck with writing and editing!

Sometimes, when I'm too preoccupied with a story and I'm thinking about it, I forget what I'm doing (accidentally thrown out food I was supposed to put in the fridge, for instance).

Steph Schmidt said...

Harlequin Teen has been putting out some seriously gorgeous covers. I actually didn't realize those were Harlequin Teen books because they're so different from what normally comes to mind when I see Harlequin. I cannot wait to see what magic they pull off for Hooked!

Finally, learning that I am not alone about missing things when writing in my head is a relief. I walked home in the rain because I was too busy "writing" to open my umbrella. Thankfully the rain was pretty light.

Kristabel Reed said...

There are now several Spock quotes running through my head. Yup.

Congrats on the contract, I must have missed that! Can't wait to see the cover or read the book.

And I totally get the mind-consuming need to write the story and get it done right. Best of luck!

LTM said...

DONE! And good for you, Liz! I did not know about this, but super congrats. <3

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You're working! We understand. Now, back to writing young lady.

Alleged Author said...

Good luck finishing your second novel!

Chelle Sandell said...

You go girl!! I love to plot or smooth out scenes when I'm cleaning or cooking. Sometimes I'll be in the shower and have to hurry so I can get my thoughts on paper.

Ann Best said...

I've noticed how many bloggers, including me, and you, have slowed down with blogging to get our writing projects finished. I'm now posting once a week, an excerpt from my current memoir I'm ghosting for a friend. I'm also trying to take at least an hour each day to comment on my blogs. I can't get to too many. Blogging is SO time consuming, for me anyway because I like to leave thoughtful comments.

Cheers for the progress you're making on book #2 (but watch those exits!). And I'm take a look now at Hooked.
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

Sarah Pearson said...

Added Hooked to Goodreds. Good luck with the end of the first draft, and the edits to come :-)

LD Masterson said...

Write long and prosper.

Deniz Bevan said...

YAy for YA! :-) How exciting for you, Liz.
It's probably a good thing that I don't drive, I'd probably miss exits all the time...

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

I know exactly what you mean about the distraction while writing! My kids are like, "Hello! Are you there mom?" :)

Glad you're getting writing done!!

Gene Pool Diva said...

LOve this genre. I'll be looking for your books. Kelly

(I've been practicing the mind meld on my siblings for years.)

Kathleen said...

Good luck finishing your second book! I will now put Hooked in my TBR list=)