Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering

Not far from where I live in Phoenix, there is a place called the Tempe Healing Field.  It's not far from the Arizona State University campus.  Every year two days before September 11, volunteers place 3000 American flags at Tempe, Arizona's, Healing Field.  Each flag honors one of the people killed when terrorists flew jetliners into buildings in New York City, Washington D.C. and a Pennsylvania field.

I can't drive by the field without crying.  I can't look at the photographs without crying.  Walking through row after row of flags, the wind speaks to you in whispers.  And like most people, I remember the exact moment when I learned what was happening on September 11, 2001.  Those images of planes crashing into buildings and people jumping from skyscrapers will forever be etched in my mind. 

Today I will spend a quiet day with family.  I will always remember and I will never forget.  And I will always be grateful for those people who sacrifice their lives protecting and saving others.

10 comments:

raelynbarclay said...

We're staying close to home today too. A beautiful tribute Liz.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a thoughtful tribute to place all those flags in the field.

Nas Dean said...

Hi Liz,

Just reading your post had me tearing up. Such a sad day.

Sarah Pearson said...

That's a very moving picture, thank you.

Tara Tyler said...

beautiful

Crystal Cheverie said...

I love the idea of placing 3000 flags in the field. A beautiful tribute to the innocents who lost their lives that day.

Lynda R Young said...

Those flags look amazing. What a great tribute and a great way to remember.

Trisha said...

It's a day I will never forget either, and I'm Australian!

LTM said...

that is so beautiful. And I hear ya about the crying. It's the firefighters that get me. Every time. :o| ((hugs)) <3

LD Masterson said...

I attended my grandson's football Sunday. Fifth grade squad, mostly ten year olds. Before the National Athem, they remembered the anniversary of 9/11/01 with the playing of God Bless America. I looked at all those boys standing in a line, helmets in their hands, staring up at our flag, and I thought - these are also what we took away from 2001. Gifts of that year, our country's future.

And through my tears, I smiled.