Friday, September 2, 2011

Getting From Here To There

I spent a little time this week analyzing how people stumble upon my blog.  Remember from Wednesday's post that I've been in full-fledged procrastination mode so this exercise should not come as a surprise. ;-)

I thought maybe some of the most popular keyword searches to my blog would be useful and intelligent things like writing, publishing, books, editors, or maybe even *cough cough* my name?

Um, no such luck.

Here are the top five keyword searches that brought new visitors to my blog this week:

1) A fork in the road
2) Planets
3) Desert wildflowers
4) Native Americans
5) Wife swapping

Wife swapping?!!  Seriously?!  That one really floored me.  What have I ever said on this blog that would attract that kind of keyword search? Very weird. 

I don't know if you use the Blogger-issued tools to analyze traffic to your blog.  I use StatCounter.com.  It's free and it's easy to install as an html gadget into your blog and provides more detail than the Blogger tool does.  Maybe the tools on WordPress are more robust but I don't know.

Anyway, if you blog, what are some of the ways people find you?  Hopefully you don't get wife swapping as a top keyword search.

16 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I swear, it defies explanation.

The weirdest for me have been:

- chicken sex
- virgin sex
- how to tell between boys and girls

I'm willing to bet today's title post will bring Googlers in too.

Talli Roland said...

Wife swapping, lol! I haven't looked at my StatCounter searches for a while; I must take a peek!

Karen Walker said...

I have no idea how to use Statcounter - I have it installed but it doesn't show me what you are saying here. BTW, there is an award for you on my blog today,Liz.
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wife swapping - that's hilarious! I need to check my own.

LD Masterson said...

Ah, I've been wondering how to get those kinds of stats. Going to install StatCounter now.

But I follow your blog regularly and I don't remember the one about wife swapping either. Hmmmm.

Wendy said...

Yeah, I get a bunch of those weird ones, too. One of the highlights of my quarter is going to check those keywords to see if there are any new weird ones!

Amy Jarecki said...

Hi Liz - I get a lot of searches for petroglyphs and ancient aliens. Funny, I get 3-4 hits a week looking at the petroglyph articles I posted several months ago, but those people never hang around or join my blog. Thanks for the tip on the tracking tool - I'll have a look at it.

Amy

Twimom227 said...

I like it! You will be getting a lot more wife swapping hits after this post!! *wink*

Liz said...

The two that always pop up for me are "Baby Bridges" and "Math Time Fillers". I actually know which posts those two searches turn up. The first one is informative. The second, not so much.

Nicki Elson said...

Wife swapping? hahaha. I canNOT imagine where that came from. I did look at key words recently. Remington Steele was one of the tops. That made me happy - he's so cute. :)

Kathleen said...

Wife Swapping is pretty funny=) The weirdest one I've gotten is "zombies you're okay." I've blogged about zombies, but not about them being okay...

Crystal Cheverie said...

I haven't actually ever done this! Now I'm curious... *runs off*

Danette said...

I always check my stats in blogger and I often get "Patrick Warburton Nude" I know why it hits my blog- I wrote a review of a movie he was in where runs out into the yard naked at the beginning so I get lots of hits off that, lol. Last week was another bizarre one but really specific "Key West Danette Baltzer illegal" Weird. Someone looking for something to blackmail me with? Spooky!

Sarah Pearson said...

Wife Swapping? Do I have to go through your archives? ;-)

MaDonna Maurer said...

Visiting from Karen's BBQ...this is funny. I need to install and see what I get.

J.L. Campbell said...

You have some interesting terms that bring people to your blog. I wonder what I'd find if I tried that app. :)