Saturday, September 3, 2011

BBQ BlogHop

Nothing gets me more motivated to join a bloghop than when there's food involved. 

KarenG at Coming Down the Mountain is sponsoring her annual BBQ Bloghop this weekend.  I stumbled upon it quite by accident last year as I was surfing the web when it was 105 degrees in the desert where I live.  To join and get the deets, click here.

The rules? Share a virtual dish for the barbecue.  And I know it's hardly traditional barbecue food, but I'm bringing raspberry scones to the partay.  Yes, raspberry scones.  Who can say no to powdered sugar and pastry? Grace Mills from Craving Perfect loves raspberry scones and, coincidentally, so do I.  Here's the recipe:

GRACE’S RASPBERRY COMFORT SCONES

2 cups flour
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into small squares
¾ cup raspberries
½ cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Generous amounts of jazz music


Ready your iPod, CD player, record player, or radio dial. Crank the jazz.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place rack in middle of oven.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend the butter into the flour mixture till it looks coarse. Stir in the raspberries. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, vanilla extract, and egg. Add this to the flour mixture and stir until the dough begins to form. Do not overmix. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough gently no more than six times.

Pat or roll the dough into a circle until it is roughly 7 inches round and 1.5 inches thick. Cut the dough into eight triangles and place the scones on the baking sheet. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and then place them under the broiler for a few seconds, turning the pan as necessary. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Makes 8 scones.

Warning: You will be tempted to eat all of them. Make sure to save one for later.

15 comments:

DEZMOND said...

that seems positively naughty, Liz! I can almost smell it here :)

Danette said...

Looks yummy! I love scones too and these look particularly yummers! Glad you joined the Bloghop and shared the recipe.

KarenG said...

This scones look amazing! Decadent yet healthy too, because they do have real fruit in them, right? Thanks for the shout out and linky love!

Crystal Cheverie said...

Ooooh, yummy yummy! That is all.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Can I crank the metal or will that scare the scones?

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Oooh, they sound wonderful. Nice to meet you here at Karen's little party. I brought steamed crabs, but if you don't like them, I also brought a chocolate rum cake. Waaaay good!

On my Friday blogposts, I've been having fun making fun of some of the nutso laws still on the books. AZ got skewered pretty good a few weeks back. (Didja know it's illegal in your state to let a donkey sleep in the bathtub . . . just in case you were wondering.)

Sarah Pearson said...

Not traditional bbq fare? Maybe you'll start a trend :-)

Anne R. Allen said...

I'm bookmarking this. Love scones. And I plan to serve them at my book launch party. It's going to have a Brit theme since my two UK books will be coming to the US at last. This recipe would be perfect. But I'd eat them at a BBQ too!

Kittie Howard said...

Read "Craving Perfect" last week and, Liz, I loved it! When it first popped on the Kindle, I thought, "Wow, Liz's book." Then, I read page one and forgot all about you (sorry, girl!) as Grace and Callie entered my life. BTW, a friend worked at a TV station - you were spot on!

Thank you for a delicious read!!!

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks everybody for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the scones. @Anne: I think the key in making a great scone as compared to a good scones is using fresh fruit. Look forward to hearing more about your book launch!

@Kittie: So glad to hear that!! That makes my day. I have a male friend who is a weather forecaster in Phoenix and I tapped into his brain for a lot of that stuff while writing those scenes. So glad they felt authentic. :-)

Tara Tyler said...

mmmm, berry scones =P

Talli Roland said...

Yum yum YUM! That sounds so good. I love Karen's BBQ!

Jeremy Bates said...

followed u over from karen's bbq... brought whiskey and steak! enjoy! and great blog--following!

Nas Dean said...

Ohhh, yummy!

Ella said...

Yum, I love scones and Jazz! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Nice to meet you~