Monday, August 15, 2011

Reading Round-Up

I have been on a reading tear, lately.  First, there was vacation.  Then there was the nasty cold I caught somewhere between Chicago and Phoenix.  (Thank you Chicago O'Hare Airport) The only thing I've wanted to do is read.  Suffice it to say, I've made a serious dent in my TBR pile.  And I've read some really great ones.  Any book that tugs at my emotional buttons and makes me feel something--love, sadness, hate, fear, happiness--is usually a homerun with me.  Throw in a well-crafted story and I'm yours, hook, line, and sinker.  Although I've listed my reviews on Goodreads, here are some of the highlights:

* I read these two books back to back:  The First Victim by J.B. Lynn and Creep by Jennifer Hillier.  I went out of my comfort zone on these because I usually don't read a lot of thrillers.  After reading them, I realized I need to read a lot more mysteries and thrillers.  Warning: I recommend that you don't read either book while alone in your house.  At the very least, make sure your doors are locked.

* I love stories set in unusual places and/or stories set in places very different from where I live.  That's why I chose to read Sometimes It Happens by Pauline Barclay.  It was getting such wonderful reviews and comments on Goodreads and Facebook that I knew I had to read it on vacation.  It was the perfect vacation read and I enjoyed it very much. 

* The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  Not sure why, exactly, but I kept putting this book off, even though my sister kept bugging me to read it.  Maybe I thought it seemed too predictable?  Boy, was I wrong.  I loved the voice from the first page and didn't put the book down for two days.  I hope the movie does not disappoint. 

Two more that I plan to finish this week are Karen Walker's Following the Whispers and Nicki Elson's Three Daves.  Both just arrived in the mail.  Can't wait to dive into those two!

I also discovered a couple new books releasing later this year.  I can't wait to read them: 

* String Bridge by Jessica Bell.  I discovered Jessica's book trailer by accident last week on Twitter, of all places.  If you haven't seen it, I suggest that you watch it.  It's gorgeous and haunting. Now I can't wait to read  her book.

* Koicto by Amy Jarecki.  It's not often you find a well-researched Native American story and these are often my favorite.  This one had me from the Author's Note on her blog: "The year is 885 A.D., sixteen years since the last total eclipse of the sun.  This is the time when the Fremont Indians dominated the Great Basin of Western Utah..."  Want. Now.

In other cool news:

* I got a lovely book review from RT Book Reviews last week for Craving Perfect.  I very much respect this publication so getting such a wonderful review from them was an honor, to say the least.  If you'd like to see what I'm putting in a silver picture frame in my office, Click here.

* Not sure how/when/or by whom this happened, but my Young Adult debut novel with Harlequin Teen, Hooked, is ALREADY on Goodreads! And people have begun to add it??!!!! *happy dance*

So many books, so little time.  What have you been reading?  Note to writers: If you've got a current or upcoming release, feel free to mention it in the Comments.

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I read Rusty Webb's A Dead God's Wrath this weekend. Great short novel. I have a book out now, but the sequel won't be out until next February.

Karen Walker said...

What a lovely benefit to getting sick, which is a bummer. I just finished Crossing to Avalon, a memoir by Jean Bolen.
Karen

Amy Jarecki said...

OMG, Liz - thank you for the nice comments about KOICTO! I have to admit, I'm getting very excited about the release, and hope the publisher gives me a firm date soon (rather than end of 2011). I wrote a review of Craving Perfect on Amazon - will also leave one on Goodreads when I get a chance. I loved it! Very cute story - great cuddle up by the fire, or beach read :-) ...Hope you are feeling better soon!

KarenG said...

I just finished the arc of String Bridge and it is brilliant brilliant brilliant times ten. I'll be posting my review this week.

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Ha ha, great minds think alike re posting reviews and recommended reads.

I've already got Jessica's & Karen's books on my wish list! Must check out the others you've listed. :o

best
F

Kittie Howard said...

I'm reading the arc for Jess's String Bridge - and agree with Karen about it being beyond brilliant.

Getting back into the groove or trying to - wish I could kick this strep throat. Ahhh, life!

Donna Cummings said...

Congrats for the great RT review. How exciting!

LTM said...

Can't wait to read Jessica's book! Yay yay! And oh, yes. The Help. I put it off, too!!! And then I was just sucked right in. Loved it. :D

Sounds like heaven to get to read so much uninterrupted~ :o) <3

Trisha said...

I'm so jealous of your reading binge! I've really slowed down with my reading...got to nip that in the bud!

Sounds like a great collection of reads!

Congrats on your excellent review and on your book being on GoodReads!!

Jessica Bell said...

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to reading yours too! I have a mega pile of ARCs I have to get through. But I will get to yours asap! :o)

Claire Robyns said...

That reminds me, I need to add The Help to my kindle for the holidays. Same as you, this is one I keep on meaning to read but keep on *forgetting*

Jean Davis said...

I've been reading a lot too lately. Yay! As of two days ago I'm on book four of George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series.