Friday, August 19, 2011

Magic Treadmills, Writing Tips, and Whiskers on Kittens

This week I wish that I could have jumped on this magic treadmill and catapulted into a different reality a la Craving Perfect-style because this cold bug? It's totally kicking my butt.  By the way, that pretty sparkly treadmill came to me courtesy of the lovely Bonnie at Sweet Tidbits

Despite suffering through the Plague, I did manage to get a fair amount of writing done this week and I wanted to pass along an interesting tip that I got from Susanna Ives, the author of one of my fave 2010 books, Rakes and RadishesWe were dishing on Facebook about our writing projects and she mentioned that she spent the whole day just writing dialogue for her current WIP. 

Hmmm....That got me to thinking...

What a great way to focus on show versus tell as you draft your WIP.  So I tried it this week.  For one whole day I wrote nothing but dialogue.  And you know what?  It worked!  It made me focus on showing versus telling for a critical part of my current WIP.  No narrative.  No fancy dialogue tags.  Try it sometime.  I also think this would also be a great way to overcome writer's block because it can really shake up your writing process.  Of course, you have to like to write dialogue...

In other news, I was honored this week to be a guest on Amy Jarecki's blog.  Had a lot of fun answering her questions. Check out her blog, if you get the chance.

And in the voice of that Dos Equis Guy, stay thirsty healthy, my friends! Have a great weekend!

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Interesting idea! I might have to try it.

Sarah said...

I definitely need to try it! I hope you feel better soon!

JB Lynn said...

Screenwriting is almost all dialogue so I totally get how this could be helpful.

Hope you feel better soon!

Isis Rushdan said...

What a great idea. I will definitely try it. I enjoy writing dialogue anyway.

Karen Walker said...

Feel better soon, Liz
Karen

LD Masterson said...

Wow. Maybe I'm doing something right. I often do a scene dump using just the dialog (skipping even line breaks and punctuation) so I can listen to the voices without interruption. It works for me.

Feel better soon.

Susanna Ives said...

Glad it worked for you. Dialogue is like character therapy for my stories. Sometimes we all have to stop in the middle of the plot and talk about our feelings and motivations before we can go on.

cherie said...

Dialogue, huh. Worth a try. Thanks for the tip. I hope you're feeling better.

*sending healthy vibes your way

Danette said...

Lots of liquids and plenty of rest! Feel better!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Sorry to hear that you're feeling crappy. Get lots of rest and don't forget the vitamin C.

I love dialogue and always use it to move my plot forward.

Such a great tip...

Feel better...

Theresa Milstein said...

Glad you survived the plague!

Killing tell through dialogue. An interesting idea! I may try it.

Madeleine said...

Glad you are feeling better. I'm getting better at putting in dialogue and your tip would certainly help improve the skill :O)

Donna Cummings said...

So sorry to hear that you're sick. It sounds like you're still being productive, though! I love to write dialogue, so I have a tendency to use your tip inadvertently. LOL But it is a great way to shake things up. :) Hope you're feeling better soon.

Ann Best said...

I never do "fancy" dialogue tags. I never repeat the person's name when the reader know who's talking; I use pronouns because that's what they're for. Hemingway is a great person to read for dialogue. Also screenplays. As JB Lynn points out, they're dialogue--and I would add Action. "Action is character, character is action." I tried writing some screenplays a few years ago that I'm going to go back to because dialogue is my strong point!

I do hope by now that you're feeling better. It sounds like you were really down. But at least you got some writing done
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

Trisha said...

Love the idea of just writing dialogue - and lucky for me, I DO love to write it anyway.

Cold As Heaven said...

Writing the dialogue is the most entertaining part of writing, I think >:)

Cold As Heaven