Friday, July 1, 2011

Wanted: Weird Pet

You know those author bios on book jackets, web sites, and blogs?  The kind that roll so easily off the tongue and go something like this:

Author X lives in [Insert cool city, state, country, here] with her husband, three adorable children, two cats, one dog and [Insert exotic pet here]. 

Well, I'm cursed.  Mostly because I'm allergic to anything with fur or feathers.  I don't have the cat or dog or even the kids.  So I'm going for the exotic pet.

When you consider that the first thing I ever wanted to be when I was a kid was a veterinarian, it's a cruel twist of fate.  Most authors have the standard dogs and cats but now, it seems from reading so many author bios, that there is an unwritten cool author rule afoot that we must also have an exotic pet of some sort.  I've seen author bios with eels, owls, monkeys, ferrets and even a scorpion.  Um, side note: Who wants to play Frisbee with a scorpion?!

So, help me, please.  I need an exotic pet--preferably one that won't make me sneeze.  With a cool name.  Any suggestions?

15 comments:

Angelina Rain said...

I wish I could have an exotic pet. I really want a lion but my husband won't let me have one. It has a lot to do with the animal possibly eating me.

You could get a fish. There are a lot of exotic fishes out there. They are easy to take care of.

Maria Zannini said...

There's always a pet rock. Are you old enough to remember those? :o)

Fish aren't big on hugs, but they are utterly fascinating. And some do have personalities.

Ref: scorpions
Anyone who reads my blog knows how I feel about scorpions.

Talli Roland said...

What about one of those hairless cats? Or some kind of lizardy thingy.

Good luck, Liz! :)

Pauline Barclay said...

We've a few small lizards and the odd gekko running around here, shall I send one over to you? Failing that what about tortoise, no fur, no feathers and you don't have to take them for walks in the rain....laugh!

Sherri said...

Pet rock...Oh Maria you crack me up! I think my father-in-law still has one he was given as a gag gift.

We have guinea pigs and a dog...not exotic at all, LOL. Oldest kid wants a lizard but ick and not exactly something to snuggle up with.

Am I crazy to say I'd love to have a sea otter? LOL, I think they are so cute and playful...I'll give up a bathtub to the cause :)

Madeline Bartos said...

What about a tarantula? I guess those are sort of fuzzy though. Turtles fun but aren't too exotic. What about an albino snake? I've always wanted a puffer fish. Good luck finding an exotic pet! :)

Julie said...

I think little lizards are kinda cute, but I don't know if they are considered exotic. Or even if you can get them as pets! It seems like exotic fish would be the best way to go.

I love the pic with this post, so funny!

DEZMOND said...

a raccoon off course :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Ferrets!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Chia pet!

Danette said...

How about a cockatiel... or better yet a cockatoo! Birds are great for people with allergies. My kids and I have allergies and always had problems with the dogs but never had problems with birds. A cockatiel is kinda small (although they are fun on your shoulders and playful-- might be less high maintenance though) but a cockatoo is the big white bird that Baretta used to have- you know, on the detective show.

gaylene said...

Haha. I feel the same way about exotic locations! I always wished I lived in a cool place so I could write about it on the back of a book someday...oh well :)

Trisha said...

Hmm........hermit crab? :)

How about a pet rock??

Pk Hrezo said...

How funny!

How bout a chimp named Bubbles? Oh wait, that was Michael Jackson.... darn.
Maybe a sugar glider named Venus? lol
:)

Liz Fichera said...

Oh, my. Great suggestions. I'm leaning towards a pet rock. ;-)