Monday, July 4, 2011

July 4th Traditions (And Things to Do When It's 115 Degrees)

Fourth of July traditions at my house are a little different than the norm.

Sure, we have a barbecue, watch fireworks from a distance, display the Flag, and we take a few moments to be thankful for all of our freedoms.  Growing up outside of Chicago, we always went to a parade in the center of town.  Now living in the Arizona desert, there's not much of a town center, per se, and did I mention it's usually around 115 degrees this time of year?  Sitting outside for any length of time is not that much fun unless you're sitting in the middle of a pool.  Which we do quite a lot too.

To keep cool, one of my Fourth of July traditions is watching The Twilight Zone marathon on the SyFy channel.  If the SyFy geniuses decide not to air the marathon (like they did last year) then we break out our DVD collection.  Not sure why, but there's something about watching Rod Serling and old Twilight Zone episodes on the Fourth of July weekend.  I've seen every episode dozens of time.  Still love each one.  And Craig and I have been doing it for years so it's become one of our traditions, albeit a strange one.

Do you have any traditions outside the norm?  And to those in the States, hope you've had a wonderful and safe Fourth of July!

16 comments:

gaylene said...

We sit in a pool each year, but it's a kiddie pool :)
My family usually watches the twilight zone marathon on New Years Day. Love that show!

cherie said...

115 degrees? Yikes! My family does have traditions. We don't do BBQ's on the 4th (too hot) but we pack up and drive somewhere cooler (vacay). So right now, I'm enjoying 75 degree weather. ;) Until we go home, and then I'll be whining about the 100+ degrees of hotness (Utah). Ugh.

Have a happy 4th anyway!

KarenG said...

I like that Twilight Zone marathon idea!

-E- said...

i'm going to watch "Patton" right after blogging.

Cold As Heaven said...

We're at about 60 degrees. Bad summer so far, cloudy and rainy. We would be happy to get some of your Arizona heat.

Enjoy your sci-fi 4th July >:)

Cold As Heaven

Karen Walker said...

Our friends have a swimming pool and a bunch of us hang out there on the 4th. Twilight Zone. I remember being terrified of that show when I was a child. Wonder how I'd feel now.
Karen

James Garcia Jr said...

Hi, Liz. Sorry I haven't been around much. I'm hoping today is a new beginning. I realized that I was giving myself too much writing to do that few were reading; that it was a better idea (with little time at my disposal each week) to write once, spend the week promoting it and visiting the blogs of others. *fingers crossed*
We don't have any real traditions, although I like "E"'s "Patton" idea. Since it is expected to be about 101 in Central California, we're heading over to my dad's and his pool. Fireworks will be tonight at the neighbor's house.
Enjoy your day...and stay cool, okay?

-Jimmy

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

Not for the 4th, but for Christmas I put my leg lamp in the window and then I put up the flagpole out front. Then I stick my life-size mannequin, Flick, to it. Last, I put out the homemade "Christmas Story" flag I made.

And, this is not crazy. My best friend decorates her entire house with the movie memorabilia!

:0)
The Write Soil

DEZMOND said...

I'm off course not in USA, but I hope you're spending nice holidays with your dear ones, Liz!

Nas Dean said...

Hi Liz, thanks for sharing your traditions, sounds awesome!

Have a happy 4th July!

Danette said...

Out of the norm? nah, we usually go to a little neighborhood parade which we skipped this year for some reason to play tennis. Then this afternoon we went to the pool because it was 98 degrees here too. We aren't big on watching fireworks so maybe that's a weird tradition. Happy 4th to ya!

Trisha said...

Not American, so don't celebrate this. Not patriotic, so don't really celebrate Australia Day either ;) But I do like barbecues...and fireworks. WOO!

Michael Di Gesu said...

HAPPY 4th Liz....

I thought of you all afternoon today. I know you are a Chicago native and I spent all morning at the lakefront biking for miles along the coast and then powerwaling down to North Ave. Beach.

The weather was Chicago at it's finest. Clear blue skies, a cool breeze and 85 fabulous degrees.

This afternoon I spent at Lincoln Park Zoo under dappled light and your novel with a picnic on the side.

I love your novel and should have your review posted by the end of the week.

Colette said...

115 degrees -- yikes! I don't envy you that. It was actually very nice here in the northeast yesterday. I wouldn't say this is a tradition, but I cleaned the house.

Talli Roland said...

No traditions because I've never celebrated the fourth! :)

Hope you had a great one, Liz.

Pk Hrezo said...

That's a great tradition! I used to love watching Twilight Zone. Nowadays, with me working at 4am, I don't stay up and do much of anything... it's all about the kids and their sparklers. lol :)