Monday, July 11, 2011
Google Plus: The New Facebook?
I've only recently begun to investigate Google+ and here's what I know which, admittedly, isn't much. Yet:
1) It is similar to Facebook in that you connect with family and friends and friends of friends by creating Circles.
2) A user is able to share posts, videos, and pictures.
3) There are more privacy controls (for now).
4) The name Google+ sounds like a name for a household cleaner. (Seriously, Google Guys, isn't there a name that's more appealing and creative than Google+ for your new baby?!)
5) Saying, "I facebooked him" has become commonplace. I can't imagine saying "I googleplussed him" just yet.
Like with Tumblr, I'm dipping my toe into Google+ with reservation. I have not yet created a profile page and unsure whether I will. Unless people become really angry and frustrated with Facebook, I'm not certain people will be flocking to Google+ in droves either. But there's always that possibility, especially the more Facebook's privacy controls turn into a Sudoku puzzle.
Facebook still is a little flashier than Google+ and has more features like the recent Skyping capability, which is kind of cool. Although one of the things I like about Facebook is that I can chat with friends in my pajamas and not worry that I haven't combed my hair.
How about you? Are you a Google+ user yet?