Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Comfort Foods

I am all about food this week.  It started with National Ice Cream Day on Monday.  Turned into National Raspberry Scone Day yesterday and it's pretty much gone downhill, calories-wise, from there.  It will only mean an extra mile or two on the treadmill each day this week, but I digress.

I came across a wonderful book entitled Grilled Cheese, Please: 50 Scrumptiously Cheesy Recipes by Laura Werlin.  Doesn't that sound TDF?! Once it gets cooler, I vow to make each and every one of the sandwiches in this cookbook because for me nothing says comfort food like a perfectly grilled cheese sandwich that is lightly salted and buttered on each side.  With tomato soup, of course. 

When I was a kid, nothing was better than a grilled cheese sandwich, although it had to be cheddar cheese and it could only be made by Mom.  Not Swiss cheese either or anything with stuff in it like blue cheese.  Just cheddar, only cheddar, thank you very much.

Home from school with a cold or flu as a kid? Mom made grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.
A snow day?  Grilled cheese and tomato soup.  Sub-zero temps and snow that crept up the side of the house? Grilled cheese and tomato soup.  I think grilled cheese was the chicken soup for the kid's soul.

Why am I thinking of winter when it's 110 degrees outside?  Wishful thinking? I have no idea.

Anyway, good memories.  I absolutely must order this book.  I hope there is an e-book version.

20 comments:

DEZMOND said...

grilled cheese ... mmmmm.... mmmmm .... I also loved breaded cheese ... and I usually order it in restaurants since I'm a vegetarian and most restaurants here don't serve meatless dishes :(

Jen Daiker said...

OMIGOSH this is the best book EVER!!! I want to visit Austin, Texas they have a restaurant that serves all types of grilled cheese. I've never been but just dream of all the fabulousness wrapped up in one place.

YUM. I am so hungry now for grilled cheese!

Heather M. Gardner said...

Goodness me.
My husband might marry me all over again if I start making these on a regular basis.
I remember my Dad making us grilled cheese w/ Velveeta! Talk about ooey-gooey!
What's on tomorrow's menu?

KarenG said...

Loving the cover of that book, it is scrump -dily-icious!! I adore grilled cheese sandwiches. Why wait for winter??

Karen Walker said...

Oh, Liz, this is delightful. Those are my two favorite foods as well, but sad to say, I can't eat either one. Cheese, which I love, makes me phlegmy and leads to sinus problems. And tomatoes aggravate acid reflux. Sigh!
Karen

Madeleine said...

You are making me so hungry ... :O)

Raelyn Barclay said...

Oh yum...there is nothing on the planet better than grilled cheese (cheddar only here too) and tomato soup on a cold day. Sadly, we don't get too many of those in Vegas ;)

Of course, now I'm hungry for grilled cheese and tomato soup!

Carol Kilgore said...

Grilled cheese, tomato soup, and a pickle. Lunch isn't too far away :)

Colette said...

I know this post is about cheese, but -- there's actually a national ice cream day? Who knew...

Sarah said...

My dad used to make me grilled cheese sandwiches. I love them and they remind me of those times. Sounds like a book I must have!

Bobby Riedel said...

Have you ever heard them called "toasted cheese sandwiches"? When I was at Penn State, some of the local girls referred to them that way, and they were, in fact, TOASTED--in a toaster. Just wasn't the same for me...
Back in Jersey, we called 'em Grilled Cheese. My family could only afford American cheese so that's what I'm used to, but once in awhile, I'll make 'em with cheddar, or provolone and swiss. Instead of tomato soup, I prefer to put tomato slices inside (bacon and turkey, too). YU-UM.

Michael Di Gesu said...

YUMMMM. I love grilled cheese, BUT, since my obsession with getting fit I stay away from sandwiches. Now cheese is TOO difficult to give up, so I do indulge it it from time to time. Since it has protein and NO carbs, it's not TOO bad.

Fats aren't necessarily great, but they are better than sugars and carbs. Moderation is the key.

Danette said...

funny! We had grilled cheese tonight because you can grill a sandwich without heating up the sandwich too much. The girl on your tumblr blog looks a little crazed but reminds me of the Anne Taintor series for children or something (and that is making a mint for that woman!!!)

cherie said...

My kids love grilled cheese. I didn't know there were 50 different ways to make grilled cheese. Wow.Sounds yum.

And how did I miss National Ice Cream Day???!!! *headslap

Is there a National Popcorn day? I really like popcorn. Sorry, off topic. :)

Kimberly Krey said...

I'm new here, but you had me at "grilled cheese". So what if I just finished running for the morning and I vowed to eat almost zero calories until tonight when I rewarded myself for my good behavior. I now think I must. have. grilled. cheese. :)

Liz Fichera said...

It's amazing the memories that a simple grilled cheese sandwich can evoke. Thanks for the comments, everybody!!

Talli Roland said...

You're making me drool now! I *love* grilled cheese, but it's really not popular here so I don't get my fix very often.

Helen Ginger said...

Yeah, grilled cheese sandwiches need to have cheddar cheese. Sometimes, if you're willing to try new things, you can vary the bread.

Nicki Elson said...

"I think grilled cheese was the chicken soup for the kid's soul."

That is the cutest. :) My son loves grilled cheese...and I can't get him to let me fancy it up for him either!

J.L. Campbell said...

My son likes anything cheesy so these will be a hit. Wonder where that sandwich maker got to?

Came over to say I just saw Craving Pefect on NetGalley email. You go girl!