Friday, June 17, 2011

Super-Secret Publishing Tip

Shhhh...Don't tell anyone this.  But I wanted to share the biggest, most important thing I've learned about publishing.  It's really important.

Come closer.

Closer.

Are you listening?

Here's the thing.  The encouragement and support you will receive  as you write and publish your books will be from the people you least expect.  Expect the unexpected.  It might come from a comment on your blog.  An email.  A new friend following your blog or Facebook or Twitter.  An unexpected review left for you on Goodreads or Amazon.  An editor who gets your jokes.

Most of the time, the kindness you receive will come from people you don't know and have never met.  It's the little things that can become huge things and fill you with happiness.  Those are the people who will get you through your day, especially the tough ones where you've been known to cry your eyes out while eating your weight in chocolate. 

To those who've left me awards, kind comments on this blog, listened to my ramblings on Twitter, joked with me on Facebook, critiqued my writing, left a nice note about my books on Goodreads--You know who you are. Thank you! You inspire me.  And you totally rock my world!

19 comments:

J.L. Campbell said...

The internet has opened up a whole new world for me - one filled with just the kind of people you've described. It makes the writing journey that much better.

Angelina Rain said...

I'm glad you're getting a good response from your fans and friends.

Joann Swanson said...

What a lovely reminder. I received one of these yesterday and, you're right, they are wonderful, especially when they're unexpected.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Inspiration and support go both ways!

Shirley Wells said...

It's great, isn't it, how the support and encouragement comes just when you least expect it?

I don't think I could cope without the friends I've made in cyberspace.

Have a great weekend, Liz!

Talli Roland said...

That's SO true - it was one the strangest things I've experienced!

-E- said...

i agree, the internet is not the cauldron of sarcastic antagonism that it is frequently portrayed as.

Sarah said...

Definitely true! I'm always surprised about how uplifting the comments on my blog are (often coming on days when I really need it!), and I so appreciate it! It's also nice to be able to offer support to others, and social media makes that really easy.

Holly Vance said...

Wise words. In fact, you have been very loyal to my blog, and since you've never "met" me, that is truly kind.

I believe in karma, so definitely keep up the kind gestures!

Michael Di Gesu said...

What a beautiful heartfelt tribute to the virtual friends who inspire our lives every day.

FOR THIS ALONE we should be grateful for our advanced technology, for without it we would be alone dealing with all the frustrations of our craft.

Have wonderful weekend Liz...

You mean a great deal to us too!


Michael

Elise Warner said...

You deserve it, Liz.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The support here online keeps me going!

Talei said...

Oh fab! I love the support out there - AND, your writing is truly a joy to read! ;-)

Have wonderful weekend dear lady! x

Deniz Bevan said...

You're right Liz! And at least fellow bloggers and writers know what sort of feedback you need - family members don't always get the constant craving for validation [g] I send chapters to my sister and she doesn't even write me back! I ask her if she liked it and she says "of course!" But I need details...

Murees Dupé said...

So true. You deserve all the encouragement. Good luck.

Mindy Ruiz said...

pssst... Liz, you rock! I know for every word of encouragement you receive you've given out ten times as many! So happy for your success and, I must say, I'm a bit bummed I have to wait until 2013 to read HOOKED, but I'll be patient...
Is it time yet?

M Pax said...

You're right, it's those random acts that mean the world. When I feel a bit 'low', I recall them all to buoy myself back up.

Nas Dean said...

Hi Liz,

Well, I think all our friends support each other. And btw, the writers community is the most warmest community there is. There is no jealousy or competition. Everyone just goes out of their way to support each other.

And your writing rocks so you deserve the support!

Liz Fichera said...

Once again, thanks for the cool comments, all! I'm glad that you have experienced the same warm connections.